Looking for a special kind of Electro-Funk

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Looking for a special kind of Electro-Funk

Ever since I've stumbled upon Matt Whitehead's first two Rebel Intelligence 12"s (most of all this!) I've been looking for similar stuff, because they heavily blew my mind.

A most suitable term for this kind of music I'm referring to would in fact be "Electro-Funk" in my book but this term can mean so many things for so many people: Early 80s African American Pop for the diggers, Nu Electro stuff referencing b-boy days for most guys like in this forum or even Drexciyan tunes of the end-90s era, and so on and on ....
      I on the other hand am looking ... well I guess for a mixture of all of this above mentioned; maybe even with a bit of rephlexish "brain dance" mixed into it preferably. For me that's most notably funky basslines with lots of sycopated accents, that's a tight groove with crisp beats (not necessarily from vintage drum-machines), that's nice synthesized harmonies/melodies and , well, an overall funky and positively driving feeling I guess.

Another good example of that stuff I'm looking for beside Whitehead is Jimmy Edgar's "My Beats", the ever so great Brian Ellis and stuff from DJ Nasty. Or an awesome random find of mine is Ali Berger's "Acid Love", though not on vinyl.

And of course I know about the awesome DMX Krew (this!, or Fresh Up stuff), Gary Gritness (this!), and the likes ... which all do stuff similar to what I'm looking for; but seldom it hits the perfect spot for me. And I want more! But I'm pretty sure there's more stuff in the vain of this stuff out there which I haven't stumbled upon yet, because it's so niche.

Anyone? Gimme! I need a fix! ;)

And please, even write if your tip doesn't quite fit my wishlist - probably it still is something awesome! Actually, why don't you just post any melodic, funky, (braindancey) electro stuff in here! :)
    • Ok so you are looking for electro-funk with a happy, melodic and - of course - funky vibe. I guess you are looking for more recent tunes so I skip artists like Paul Hardcastle, Tom Browne, Tyrone Brunson, etc.

101braindance.bandcamp.com/track/free

I'm pretty sure there are much more artists which fit to your description. Further research is needed, but this should keep you busy for a while :headphones:
    • Thanks for your input, mates! I know almost everyone of them already, but that was to be expected - I did a lot of (virtual) digging myself up to this date .

And ahh, that's interesting - I always enjoy how my description of music relates to another one's perception of music. Always enlightens me a bit.
      For example: I'd've never associated Little Computer People, Hyboid or UHU's Magic Computer with my description - first of all because in my ears they are not funky at all - they're discoid. And, well, because of their computerized stiffness I'd even like to call them something like disco-electro .. or electrisco .. if those words wouldn't sound so hideous.

But yeah, you got my drift with
      - Biepang: That's exactly the kind I was looking for! Love all of his stuff, especially the EP on Trust. Always wished for him to become active again; anyone knows anything?
      - Remote (UR): ! This one is always in my record bag, when I'm out spinning at an electro-related event. Godlike.
      - Artificial Arm: Bloody hell, that's sweet! Discovered him last year and am in love.
      - Automatic Tasty and Microlith are also up my cup of tea, as are most of the CPU releases. My recent discoveries somewhat in this vein are Sint and Volitune.. and Aftawerks!

Ceephax is on another page completey - yes, I like playful stuff, but no I don't like silly stuff, like childish silly stuff. I want to smile with music - not laugh with/at music ;)

The overly digital sounding nu-breakdance-electro stuff like the Sace 2 track you posted are not my thing though. Mainly because I don't like the overall harshness of the sound - not only caused by the digitalness but also because of the over-the-top "this has to be banging"-attitude which almost always comes with it. This let's me loose the feeling of the groove and the funk.. Refers to a lot of Dominance Electricity titles as well unfortunately.. But that's just a personal and subjective note.

Regarding the old (80s) electrofunk tunes: yeah, you're right I was more or less aiming at recent tunes - but that's only because I've dug through a mountain of 80s electrofunk, And yes, of course, I know about Hardcastle, Brunson and the likes: I love it. But I got the feeling I discovered most of what I like in that respect. But sure, If you guys have some (rare) tune up your sleeve beside those (major label) classics: go ahead, please!

Thanks, Bionic! That label and your stuff are news to me: gotta check that out!

Man, I'm ranting on about me me me me.. Hey you other forum guys and gals: feel free to tell the world what you're associating with the term electro-funk or the likes!
    • Robyrt Hecht wrote:

The overly digital sounding nu-breakdance-electro stuff like the Sace 2 track you posted are not my thing though. Mainly because I don't like the overall harshness of the sound - not only caused by the digitalness but also because of the over-the-top "this has to be banging"-attitude which almost always comes with it. This let's me loose the feeling of the groove and the funk.. Refers to a lot of Dominance Electricity titles as well unfortunately.. But that's just a personal and subjective note.
      Nothing unfortunate about it :) . It's simply different approaches / styles and meant to be like this. I actually try to cover the full spectrum of Electro styles on Dominance Electricity as long as it has a certain level of production and composition quality. So there is robotic banging Electro next to warm Electrofunk next to deep space ambient Electro. Besides recent Blastromen and Jackal & Hyde releases, I think that the aimed spectrum of the label is best explored on the last two various artist albums 'Global Surveyor 3' and 'Electrofunk Resistance' (in combination).

I'm trying to think of more Electro in the style you asked for, there was for sure more in the 90s... I have to dive through my extensive vinyl collection some time..
      Do you know the Insect Jazz releases on Elektrolux? Maybe not exactly that style, a more techy type of funk, but nice anyway...

Also some tracks on these albums could be what you're looking for:

Majic 12 "Back To School" (Beau Monde) 1998
      beatport.com/release/back-to-skool/1843559

A1 People "Fresh Juice" (Hydrogen Jukebox) 1998
      beatport.com/release/fresh-juice/47694
    • You were right - in my first suggestions I was focused on the "positively driving feeling" and didn't care enough about the funky aspect.

This one might be pretty rare but you probably already know most of the german stuff from Science, Mikrolux or Electrolux labels...
      myspace.com/klystronsoundworks…rvalves-23227523-23028708

This is a tough question. Maybe this list helps you in case you overlooked some labels:
      discogs.com/de/lists/Electro-Labels/120692?page=1&limit=250
    • @elektroakust: Yeah a friend of mine recommended Elektrolux/Microlux to me as well a year ago or so - never did check it out though until now. Somehow it slipped my mind. I certainly have to do so soon, because a sneak peak already is promising. And indeed, it's not THE sound I was looking for here, but never mind that.

Actually this perfectly fits into what I was hoping to achieve with that thread on a side note: Since a lot of you guys are into electro for a much longer time that I am, you probably know a lot more (good) electro releases from the 90s and early 00s as I have been able to dig out until now going backwards from my starting point.

Like for example the Majic-12 album sounds great, thanks! This directly went on my wishlist; will be scouting out that on Discogs for sure.
      Will check out the Hydrogen Jukebox stuff as well, sounds promising.

@uNiTs: Thank you too for thinking about this. You suggestions weren't up that road I was looking for, but I really like the one by Jacen Solo nontheless and just bought it, thanks. And of course, Peace of Mind already has a prominent spot in my record shelf.

@dasgetier: Well, actually I even discovered Science City just a bit ago, even though they hailed from my home city. You never know where to look until you know, ha!
      But I in fact already covered Novamen and also the Mullet Records stuff.
      I've bookmarked the Discogs list; if I feel bored, I'll go through this too eventually - but for know I was hoping to extract your collective knowledge. Worked great so far, thanks!