best electro i heard in a long time

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• @ elektroakust: i guess you are right with what you wrote ... i was being a bit unfair. but i insist that almost all contemporary electro has failed at creating something distinctive and original. randy barracuda - even if you don't like him - surely has his very own style which sets him apart from a lot of other artists imo.

on the old board, reeno once said that there is too less musicianship in today's electro ... at least on that point i agree with him.
    • lj;11971 wrote:

... i insist that almost all contemporary electro has failed at creating something distinctive and original.

and its getting harder to do that with every new song being released.
      i guess this is a problem not only of electro but of all music genres.
      since theres not much left thats not already been done by now.
      but if you keep digging deep you will always find some new fresh stuff...
      so lets not generally give up ;)

lj;11971 wrote:

randy barracuda - even if you don't like him - surely has his very own style which sets him apart from a lot of other artists imo.

thats right. also respect for the programming work with this... must be a hell of a job. :)
      (btw Randy (Perttu) is a top guy... just the style of this project is not so much my cup of tea.)

lj;11971 wrote:

on the old board, reeno once said that there is too less musicianship in today's electro ... at least on that point i agree with him.

yes, but like i already said there (the threads are still here btw)
      its all about the confusion with the term "electro".
      many different styles of music that only share the use of electronic sounding
      instruments (and often the syncopathed beat) are being called "electro" these days.
      and some of them simply do not have the approach to entertain with classic song elements.
      but that doesnt necessarily mean its bad music.
    • lj;11971 wrote:

Disagree with that!

Matt , our music called ELECTRO FUNK so i dont think that we have to worry if the rest electronic musicians use the term "electro"!Also Bam inspire all these all these styles even if they dont know it or dont respect that fact!Long big story!
    • Invisible Rockers;11987 wrote:

Disagree with that!

well, then name some recent stuff that is on the same level as any of the classics - musicwise.

elektroakust wrote:

and some of them simply do not have the approach to entertain with classic song elements.
      but that doesnt necessarily mean its bad music.

i agree. but if it's good music, you will still see the musical/artistic value behind it.
      as an example, anthony rother isn't the best musician and his early songs don't have classic song elements ... but still, it is truly creative and artistic material - i would call that "musicianship".
    • lj;12040 wrote:

well, then name some recent stuff that is on the same level as any of the classics - musicwise.

I cant combine two different eras bro!
      I cant combine Renegades of Funk or AL NAF with today tunes...we LUV OLD SCHOOL ,but we must move ahead!Why noone 30 years later can make a better track than the Renegades of Funk?Even Bam?Old school is our roots but we have to develop the sound today!

I agree that few new school stuff is really boom ,but there are artists that move us ahead for shure!

Diplomat , Knights of Bass ,Funkmaster Ozone ,some of the Dominance ,the spanish scene ,Freestylers...even if they dont release strictly electro funk albums - & many more!

..note that all that artists bringin the OLD SCHOOL with new sound!
    • lj;12040 wrote:

i agree. but if it's good music, you will still see the musical/artistic value behind it.
      as an example, anthony rother isn't the best musician and his early songs don't have classic song elements ... but still, it is truly creative and artistic material - i would call that "musicianship".

ok, but thats all very subjective...
      i guess reeno wouldn't see one bit of that "musicianship" in any of rothers music. :)
      it always depends were you are coming from music experience wise / how long you have
      been listing to what music. depending on that you decide whats innovative and what not.
      in that sense its also simply a question of age... its only natural that any new music
      wont flash you as deeply as the hits from your early days when you were young and more impressionable.

...in the end, theres just one thing you can do about it when you don't like what the scene
      has to offer these days. try and make it better! 8-)
    • you know what... most of you sound like pure guitarists
      it is know for guitarists to discuss about who is better player, musician etc.
      "that could be played like this, that could be played like that.... that is awful played" ....... etc.

for me electro is based on beat and harmony
      it doesent matter how fast you play, what technique of playing keyboard you have if track doesent have a good harmony it will just be an ordinary track... i hope you get what i want to say
    • Invisible Rockers;11987 wrote:

Disagree with that!

Matt , our music called ELECTRO FUNK so i dont think that we have to worry if the rest electronic musicians use the term "electro"!Also Bam inspire all these all these styles even if they dont know it or dont respect that fact!Long big story!

You know that some of our 'electrofunk' heroes such as Cosmo D of Newcleus have said MANY A TIME on this site that when they were making this music back in the day they thought they were making STRAIGHT UP HIP HOP, Cosmo categorically said this. No one in New York was using the term 'electrofunk' (a confused European derivative of what was and is HIP BLOODY HOP).

I'm sure everyone read this a lot of times but the 'electrofunk' brigade stick their heads in the sand and pretend they didn't read this!

Well I can be as bloody minded as the lot of you and I will stick to it being HIP HOP.

So you saying 'our music is called ELECTROFUNK' is NOT fact and is totally subjective.
    • bhose;12112 wrote:

You know that some of our 'electrofunk' heroes such as Cosmo D of Newcleus have said MANY A TIME on this site that when they were making this music back in the day they thought they were making STRAIGHT UP HIP HOP, Cosmo categorically said this. No one in New York was using the term 'electrofunk' (a confused European derivative of what was and is HIP BLOODY HOP).

I'm sure everyone read this a lot of times but the 'electrofunk' brigade stick their heads in the sand and pretend they didn't read this!

Well I can be as bloody minded as the lot of you and I will stick to it being HIP HOP.

So you saying 'our music is called ELECTROFUNK' is NOT fact and is totally subjective.

First of all, our music is not called HIP HOP...Hip Hop called our Culture - So, we cant listen Hip Hop - WE ARE HIP HOP!Hip Hop contains many styles-periods such as old school rap,new school rap ,electro,boom bap etc no matter what each ear want to listen...Back in the days of course Cozmo was doin Hip Hop & great Hip Hop :) I am not sure wich year the term electro funk born(because we havent find such an info nowhere @ our vinyls) BUT we have watch an interview of our Godfather Afrika Bambaataa where he says exactly : I took the term ELECTRO from bands such as Kraftwerk,Yellow Magic Orchestra & more...i took the term FUNK from fathers such as Parliament Funkadelic ,Sly Stone etc... & i made ELECTRO FUNK- Bam made a new style using some elements of other musics - Bam was makin Hip Hop with ELECTRO FUNK SOUND.Electro Funk aint a European term because Bam born it & his location is the Bronx!Also the term Electro is not borned by our Hip Hop pioneers!
      So, nothing is subjective...subjectivity destroyin Hip Hop!Here in Greece NOONE knows about old school!Everybody ignore what is Hip Hop before 1992!When we speak with these people here & they tellin us that electro aint hip hop :ugly: these guys ARE SUBJECTIVE because they know nothin & they sayin untruth things!We are not!Invisible Rockers aint telling their opinion- we telling what the history says- we STUDYING from our childhood about it & we will never stop doin that!
    • Invisible Rockers;12116 wrote:

First of all, our music is not called HIP HOP...Hip Hop called our Culture - So, we cant listen Hip Hop - WE ARE HIP HOP!Hip Hop contains many styles-periods such as old school rap,new school rap ,electro,boom bap etc no matter what each ear want to listen...Back in the days of course Cozmo was doin Hip Hop & great Hip Hop :) I am not sure wich year the term electro funk born(because we havent find such an info nowhere @ our vinyls) BUT we have watch an interview of our Godfather Afrika Bambaataa where he says exactly : I took the term ELECTRO from bands such as Kraftwerk,Yellow Magic Orchestra & more...i took the term FUNK from fathers such as Parliament Funkadelic ,Sly Stone etc... & i made ELECTRO FUNK- Bam made a new style using some elements of other musics - Bam was makin Hip Hop with ELECTRO FUNK SOUND.Electro Funk aint a European term because Bam born it & his location is the Bronx!Also the term Electro is not borned by our Hip Hop pioneers!
      So, nothing is subjective...subjectivity destroyin Hip Hop!Here in Greece NOONE knows about old school!Everybody ignore what is Hip Hop before 1992!When we speak with these people here & they tellin us that electro aint hip hop :ugly: these guys ARE SUBJECTIVE because they know nothin & they sayin untruth things!We are not!Invisible Rockers aint telling their opinion- we telling what the history says- we STUDYING from our childhood about it & we will never stop doin that!

Good reply man. I agree with you, glad you didn't take it personally and lose your nut! Sorry about the tone of my response. You are right, Hip Hop is the culture and Electrofunk is a subsidiary of it.