most expensive sought after electro/rap records?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• the most money i've ever seen for an electro record was $1500+ for the Peter Rock some years ago, closely followed by Diamond 2 Crew for $900 but i personally sold an original Elvis 45 on Sun records for about $4500 in 2002 for a friend of mine.

but the most $$$ i've ever seen for a record was qround $22.000 for an acetate from the Rock genre but can't recall the groups name, could be Beatles or Sex Pistols or maybe A. Warholl
    • The most expensive I've known are probably as follows:

Mr Magic's Be Bop Convention LP (Tri State) - very rarely turns up, but I know on the last two occasions has topped $2500 - $2650 and $2750

Akinyele - Break A Bitch Neck (Liberty Grooves) - very few in existence - less in demand but due to rarity and still a lot of demand - I've known this sell for $2500

Outlaw Four - Million Dollar Legs (Dynamite PEP) - $1200 I've known

The two rare delmars: Super 3 - Philosophy Rappin Spree and Spyder D's Spinnin Webs - both around $1200 mark - super 3 used to be rarer till the reissue

Kool DJ AJ - Ah that's the joint (White Diamond) around $1500

Wish I had them! Sadly I'll have to settle for reissues and represses!
    • bhose;16355 wrote:

What's that Akinyele jam like then? You got the Von Love EP? If you do would you flog it or trade it?

Yes, got momentary lapse - great ep. Haven't got the akinyele - to be honest it's well over rated and I wouldn't pay the money for it! It's ok but by no means classic. IMO, while the other uber expensive records are brilliant the akinyele ep is ok - i think it's just up there in terms of being sought after because of the size of the press - if outlaw 4, for example, had a press of that size it would probably be going for three times the amount!
    • koolski;16407 wrote:

Yes, got momentary lapse - great ep. Haven't got the akinyele - to be honest it's well over rated and I wouldn't pay the money for it! It's ok but by no means classic. IMO, while the other uber expensive records are brilliant the akinyele ep is ok - i think it's just up there in terms of being sought after because of the size of the press - if outlaw 4, for example, had a press of that size it would probably be going for three times the amount!

I've got the ultra rare Star Raid 12", 19th Fleet, recently on Ebay for £700, would you trade it for the Von Love EP?
      ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...
    • The acetate mentioned was NICO/VELVET UNDERGROUND which sold for a 5 figure sum.
      it was on ebay about 2 years ago,the guy bought it in a bunch of records,worked out hed paid like 2 dollars for it. Its an alternate version of some classic V.U album, i think the andy warhol picture cover one...
      records from other genre's that fetch several hundred dollars each time include.
      MAYHEM-DEATHCRUSH MIMI LP... have seen it go to the $1000 mark
      MOONBLOOD-TASTE OUR GERMAN STEEL. again $1000 ..even though its crap
      MUTIILATION. lp goes for over $1000 although the buyer could get the entire band to play live in their house for less!
      FRANK WILSON. DO I LOVE YOU, 7"...ultra rare northern soul 7" (my mate actually wrote a novel based on this.. WHO THE HELL'S FRANK WILSON?- PETE MCKENNA.
      thisoldsoul.net/fw.html

Supposedly 250 demo 45s were pressed, but by that time Frank Wilson decided he would rather focus on producing and had the demos trashed. Somehow at least two known copies survived, one of which fetched over £25,000 (aprox. $37,000) in May 2009[1].

im quite suprised there isnt more super expensive electro collectable vinyls. i did read ages ago that a RUN-DMC t shirt sold for a rediculous amount. cant remember where though.

i remember also the BREAKIN & ENTERIN 12" was on ebay,(one with a red label) and that was in the several hundred dollar mark...

nylvi.com/blog/the-worlds-10-most-valuable-vinyl-records/

just found this, top ten most sought after/valuable vinyls.

thinking back 20 years i remember having one sided vinyls, streetwave ones, ll cool j double grooved 10 inches,gangstarr test pressings,dozens of white labels,i think a sir-mix-alot one sided streetwave vinly with the reverse side patterned but with no grooves.

also just remembered.... theres an old picture of HARDROCK SOUL MOVEMENT from the STREET SCENE mag... in it they are pictured with a turntable with some medusa type picture disc..
      actually saw one of those in a 2nd hand shop around the time,it was super thick and had a kind of studded edge...no idea who it was by,proberbly some goth band and cant think for the life of me why i just didny buy it and stick it on the wall!
    • the most ive paid for a record was $200 and today would never do that again.
      i have paid in recent times $100 for titles, but it was within a big lot of records, with a payment arrangement i made with the seller. so after all the titles at varying prices, i actually ended up paying $12 per record thus $12 for a $100 record.

i always wonder why or how is it that people into electro or hip hop or willing to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a record? what are they doing that i aint???
      i also question this in relation to other forms of "dance" music, and that there may be similar, dare i say "rareness" factor, but go for far less.

today i laugh at the obsessiveness people have towards records and are willing to put themself in eternal debt for. we all go through it especially since the web and vinyl resale came to be, but hopefully you outgrow it as it can be such an unhealthy habit. if u cant choose between a mortgage/rent/food on the table over a record, you got problems!
    • I remember that Velvet Underground acetate selling, that was also because there were different mixes and demo versions on there that were available nowhere else. Also the acetate skipped in a few places, imagine what it would be if it had played well.

There was also an ultra-rare 45 of Sex Pistols 'Anarchy in the UK' on EMI before they fell out with the Pistols, that went for a bit but I forget what.

The most I've bid is £100 for Monster Beat, but I didn't win. I haven't got the money to put another bid like that down on a record again :-/

I did pay quite a bit for Star Raid a number of years ago, but less than I bid for Monster Beat.

I think the original Tartown pressing of Beat Bop goes for quite a bit, that was a very limited run. There was a reissue, but that plays at 33rpm I think, the original at 45rpm. I'm not sure whether the art crowd is pushing that value up due to the cover being an original Basquiat 'masterpiece' :o
    • What?????????????

urbanjedi;16562 wrote:

Sanj did you really pay 700 squid for star raid ;D

£700 for star raid you were robbed if ya paid that it's only worth £70-100 max,infact a mate of mine picked one up for £20,people on Ebay and Discogs trade unfairly i think lots of records on there are totally over priced!!!!!
    • this times, i think the most expensive electro/rap record is MCI-Commandments with 898$

cgi.ebay.com/MCI-Commandments-…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rare record, but absolutly overpriced like many other records too these days..
      who pays nearly 900$ for 1 fuckin vinyl?? a bit psycho, today you can get high quality mp3s of the most rare Electro Records. Sure, vinyl is prefered, but to pay that much just to have the wax?? :-X
    • doctorcrack;20500 wrote:

this times, i think the most expensive electro/rap record is MCI-Commandments with 898$

who pays nearly 900$ for 1 fuckin vinyl??

We Rock Krue-Hit It
      cgi.ebay.de/ELECTRO-RAP-12-Wee…:1318|301:1|293:1|294:100

hehe..nice sum...it seems h***l did it again ;D

well if he needs so badly this wax and if he does have the money why not?
    • doctorcrack;20500 wrote:

this times, i think the most expensive electro/rap record is MCI-Commandments with 898$

who pays nearly 900$ for 1 fuckin vinyl?? a bit psycho, today you can get high quality mp3s of the most rare Electro Records. Sure, vinyl is prefered, but to pay that much just to have the wax?? :-X

theres a little "collectors" hype at the moment, forced by things like mp3s, freddy fresh's Book, Blogs, Forums, youtube, ect...
      Some beginners with too much money just want to buy all, were they have read, this 12" is rare or something...
      Sure we all- also the peops here on EE -are "collectors", but at least we are also Freaks, Dj's, B-Boys, ..its just fun...freaks, trying to find good records for cheap and only pay more $$$ if a record is REALLY good & rare, or a long missing gap...
      But these "collectors only" are like collectors of Stamps or old comics imo...they just want to buy ALL for crazy money. rare or not, they pay a lot of cash only to "have" it because they have heard its "rare"... silly people paying too high prices because they want it too fast, they cant wait for a cheaper copy...
      You also can clearly see, that only Records went that expensive, if there is a soundsample on ebay, or the mp3 is floating around the net.....

prices go up and down. 5 or 6 years ago Dwayne Omar-Save The Children was a 150$+ 12"... i have sold 2 sealed copys of dwayne omar-save the children on ebay 3 years ago for around 60$...today you need to pay 140$+ again for a VG++ copy (also saw a copy for much more than 200$ recently..CRAZY!)...and soon the price will go down again....and if you have good sources and a bit luck you maybe will find it for just 5$ or 10$..?sometimes patience is the key!

You can bet, that the most "big buyers" are bloody beginners....they dont have own knowledge, they just believe all what they read in the net, or they believin what the sellers write in the item describtions.
      example:

We Rock Krue-Hit It
      cgi.ebay.de/ELECTRO-RAP-12-Wee…:1318|301:1|293:1|294:100

this record is NOT really rare and NOT 85/86, its late 80s...it seems the buyer just was believing what the seller has written in his item describtion...the truth: this is a 20-30$ record!!!!260$?? no way imo!

clever and tricky sellers with overhyped item describtions and rookie buyers and beginners who listen to this music since the "freddy fresh" book or blogs and mp3 sharing :)
      that makes a price like this!

In fairness, some early hip hop records have always been very expensive eg Rammellzee Beat Bop. I agree that in the current bubble and hype there are some stupidly overpriced records that are only sought after by virtue of appearing on a mix and being a twelve that noone has because they were a flop at the time of release (but often very good).

I think if people want to spend a lot then why shouldn't they, after all rare vintage records like Rammelzee for instance are serious collectors items now and this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it shows that our music is now being taken seriously like jazz or whatever else. At the end of the day if you want beat bop for cheap go buy the reissue for a fiver, however if you want the OG - a slice of history then go pay $1000 or more.

Most expensive records at the moment IMO (some of these I got out of Record Collector magazine - they seem to be doing lots on hip hop now - pretty good stuff actually):

Mr Magic's Be Bop Convention - $2750
      Family Four - Rap Attack - $1800
      Super 3 - Philosophy rappin Spree - $1500
      Outlaw Four - Million Dollar Legs - $1200
      Kool DJ AJ - Ah that's the joint - $2100
      Rammelzee vs K Rob - Beat Bop - $1800
      Keefy Keef - Three's Company - $2100
      Ron B - Stitch By Stitch - $1100
      Def Rhythm productions - back to the Lab - $1200
    • koolski;20944 wrote:

Mr Magic's Be Bop Convention - $2750
      Family Four - Rap Attack - $1800
      Super 3 - Philosophy rappin Spree - $1500
      Outlaw Four - Million Dollar Legs - $1200
      Kool DJ AJ - Ah that's the joint - $2100
      Rammelzee vs K Rob - Beat Bop - $1800
      Keefy Keef - Three's Company - $2100
      Ron B - Stitch By Stitch - $1100
      Def Rhythm productions - back to the Lab - $1200

cash, credit card or eternally in debt???
      i think people got more money than brains!