new anthony rother project

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Steril;15787 wrote:

Small anecdote: A friend of mine asked Anthony Rother after his liveset why he doesn't play Electro anymore. His answer was (roughly translated): "That music I have played in my liveset is Electro now"...

::)
      Well, it's HIS interpretation of "electro now"...I believe thats the core reason the term electro-house popped up (or at least gave that term a BIG push) and being that he helped shape and revive electro so much, like drschmidt was saying, people are quite disappointed...I guess thats also where the "house with electro sounds" comes from...I know, cause I've used it too. :-/
      Good things take time, and bad things waste it.
    • elektroakust.;15802 wrote:

btw... i think the very last electro track he released was this:

[yt]vTRgloVxDU0[/yt]
      discogs.com/Anthony-Rother-This-Is-Electro/release/583256

sounds like an outtake from the hacker or simulationszeitalter album...
      WOW dude!, you have no idea how happy you have made me by posting this Discogs link, I thought they only had this song in digital form, and I stay true to vinyl only, so I'm hyped! ;D

ThnX!
      Good things take time, and bad things waste it.
    • Steril;15809 wrote:

Really? I think the first time i noticed him was back on Gigolo with the "Ozone Layer - Planetary Deterioration" remix.
      Didn't know he was active before that...

his first co-produced release he already had in 1988...
      a very classic oldschoolish Egyptian Lover sampling ~ electro pop 12"
      TFD Crew "I Want You" ;D ...then 1992~97 was all techno~house~... releases on different labels...

hencesolo;15814 wrote:

WOW dude!, you have no idea how happy you have made me by posting this Discogs link, I thought they only had this song in digital form, and I stay true to vinyl only, so I'm hyped! ;D

ThnX!

:D
    • hencesolo;15812 wrote:

Well, it's HIS interpretation of "electro now"...I believe thats the core reason the term electro-house popped up (or at least gave that term a BIG push) and being that he helped shape and revive electro so much, like drschmidt was saying, people are quite disappointed...I guess thats also where the "house with electro sounds" comes from...I know, cause I've used it too. :-/

i think also Gigolo Records was very much responsible for labeling 4 to the floor music "electro".
      it started with "electroclash" like fisherspooner then faded to the italo~disco~influenced techno... etc.

remember when the dutch scene (clone, globaldarkness etc) collectively closed websites and everything for a few days ...out of protest against gigolo? :D
      that was all even before rother stopped with electro.
    • yep "electro clash" was the beginning of the end for the word electro being used properly....in the 90's "electro-tek" was a word i used for songs that had a mixture of electro beats and techno 4/4 beats....the label v-max from detroit had some stuff like that from the artists silicon and tizoc........

record shopping in the 90's was so different, in toronto canada it was hard to find real electro so you had to dig to find those true electro gems...plus i was one of the only djs at the time playing real electro in toronto so the shop owners would put stuff aside for me....most techno djs and producers that have been around since the 90s know what real electro is.......
      now if you went in a record store and asked for electro they would hand you a bunch of house records ::) .....my how the times have changed

i just laugh when is see rock bands with a keyboard player on myspace that call their music electro....and most kids under 20(and even plenty older ppl) think any type of electronic music is electro
    • il mafioso;15893 wrote:

Rother made such amazing electro tracks back in the days... Very dissapointed by the music he makes nowadays...
      There are people right now listening to his current music productions, who feel about it the same way we felt when when he first started coming out with ELECTRO...I guess you can say hes making everyone happy at some point, but most importantly...him self. ;)
      United through music!
    • elektroakust.;15821 wrote:

i think also Gigolo Records was very much responsible for labeling 4 to the floor music "electro".
      it started with "electroclash" like fisherspooner then faded to the italo~disco~influenced techno... etc.

remember when the dutch scene (clone, globaldarkness etc) collectively closed websites and everything for a few days ...out of protest against gigolo? :D
      that was all even before rother stopped with electro.

Yeah, I remember that time quite well. I became quite disenchanted with Gigolo back then..

Before the big success came, they had a good style, a very unique musical vision, and most important, they took the very serious techno of that time, and put some needed ironic flavour to that thing. The Gigolo office was not far away from my place here in Munich, and I used to visit there quite often, because it was always very funny and family style.

In 2001 everything changed so much, I couldn't believe it was still the same label. And the most disgusting thing was, that people took all that nonsense Gigolo has spreaded for real and serious.

Being a Gigolo Artist in that time was weird. Before you had all these cool and down to earth guys, like David Caretta, the Hacker, Plastique de reve, even DJ Hell himself, etc and suddenly you were playing at parties with all these fashionist Hairdresser people from around the globe, like Fisherspooner, X-Lover and Atomizer, who just cared for fame.

Needless to say, that all the cool people in the office have left Gigolo in that time, too.

After 2002 it was really dead for me, and one of the main reasons I almost didn't produce music anymore for some years, because the state of the scene was really depressing.

I think most responsible for the very weird Italo-Hype, and "Electro" being connected to "Italo" in the minds of a lot of people are the dutch labels and acts, like IF, Legowelt, TLR etc.

I had to fight for some time to get the "Italo"-mindset out of some of the people dj-ing at our bi-monthly party here in Munich. Especially the younger guys thought, that Italo is also Electro, or at least some kind of part of it...

I don't have anything against Italo, but I don't like that mixture of Italo & Electro all too well. At least not on my party. ;)
    • Steril;15961 wrote:

I think most responsible for the very weird Italo-Hype, and "Electro" being connected to "Italo" in the minds of a lot of people are the dutch labels and acts, like IF, Legowelt, TLR etc.

yes, i guess I-F's "Mixed Up In The Hague" italo mix started that new italo hype.

anyway... i think theres some great stuff in all of these genres and genre crossover styles...
      just the confusion with the term "electro" can be a real headache sometimes. ;D
    • I'm sorry but i can hardly believe that he's happy with what he does right now. It's a stretch for me. I think he's in it for the money and what he did with electro was from his soul. But then again i might be mistaken. I'm just saying it's something hard to believe in.
      After all, he said in one of his tracks "goodbye electro", but what he didn't say, and i think that electro people deserve to hear it after buying all his records and supporting him through all these years, is why "goodbye electro". That's what i wanna know.
    • for gigolo discussion :

they started with electroclash on miss kittin and hacker release "champagne" and all madness is started , personaly i like that style not fanaticly but i like it it's cousin of hi nrg and italo music and that's my fave music ...

on topic :

A.R. "sold out" but he producing and mixing tracks for coccon artist for a 3 4 years for cocoon records/managment owned by sven vath i hope it's clear why he goes "pop" .

But superspacemodel album is not so bad after all there's my fave track youth ... yes i like techno/house but not everything from it !

about term electro

generaly there's no border between genres now so don't blame people why they mixed up the sacret term for us ... there's still lot of people who house or other 4/4 beat called techno

it's all about the media and major publishers
    • hencesolo;15772 wrote:

Well I guess I'm being corrected here, because I was under the impression his new stuff is more electro-house sounding, but I see most of you using techno to describe it...electrotechnohouse maybe?... hah!...far fetched.

Me personally I consider anything with a strait 4/4 beat techno. I think some people in that scene consider techno its own genre but its all the same to me.
    • xed;16169 wrote:

I'm sorry but i can hardly believe that he's happy with what he does right now. It's a stretch for me. I think he's in it for the money and what he did with electro was from his soul. But then again i might be mistaken. I'm just saying it's something hard to believe in.
      After all, he said in one of his tracks "goodbye electro", but what he didn't say, and i think that electro people deserve to hear it after buying all his records and supporting him through all these years, is why "goodbye electro". That's what i wanna know.

Man I saw an interview on youtube where he was talking about how boring electro is. I Have to find that link, pissed me off it was kind of like he was talking shit about us. As far as his new house tracks some of them aren’t so bad, dont know which ones cause id never buy them but some of them dont fit into the traditional 4/4 beat as in the bass lines have more of a bounce. (best way I can think 2 describe no1 will know what I mean tho). I have a couple tech-house records I like to throw into electro mixes. Sometimes the bass lines mixed together create a unique blend, especially with silicon scally & more mello tracks like that. Also Uprokk did a mix with a bunch of 4/4 tracks that rocked & also had good drum patterns.
      Dont Panic was just dreadful if u have that vinyl might as well use it as a Frisbee, then when I hear rother break down & start singing I die a little inside. Point is some 4/4 tracks capture that electronic sound & rock but should never be called electro. That should be the 11th commandment.