darkbeat

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just found this old post, an interesting discussion.

Well I will firstly say in my defence that in the documentary I mention my earliest influences as being from one of the first electro sub-genres - electro-pop such as John Fox, Visage, OMD, Human League etc. As the documentary is edited it may have come across differently than that?

The rave scene had no major influence on me other than the likes of Shut Up & Dance and Dynamic Guv'nors which were really just an offshoot of the British Hip hop scene at the time anyway.

As for US early 80's Hip Hop, well from what I can see it was all Hip Hop culture apart from the Detroit artists. The term 'Electro' was mainly a UK/European explanation for electronic dance music in the early 80's whether it be from Hip Hop, (Bambaataa/Hashim/etc) Disco, (Warp 9/Xena/etc) Funk (Herbie Hancock/Material/etc.) + many other genres of the time. Even the so called 'Electro' albums on Street sounds had to change the name to Hip Hop eventually as the technology and styles changed.

It wasn't until the 90's that Electro (as we now recognise it) began to get an identity but this also depends on your age and location as to what you consider 'real' Electro to be.
    • Most "New School" Electro imo is Techno Bass, its very Techno influenced ( specially Detroit Techno ), and traces most of its influences to Dynamix II, AUX 88, and the label Breakin' Records and its artists. There is some Rave involved, and of course it always credits Old School "Electro" ( funny how Juan Atkins always called it Techno, inc. Clear ) as being an influence, but it certainly evolved into a much more complex sound. And of course as always, you can never forget the engineers of the blue prints, Kraftwerk ;)...
      naming Wendy Carlos probably wouldn't be unjustified even.

Techno Bass is just another sub genre of what we call "Electro", and it is not, i repeat, is not only for Detroit. Yes it was made there by AUX and others, but even though they didnt expect it to go global, it did and they realize it!
      this I have confirmed with K1.

I remember what people in Detroit said when we launched our site: "thank god we can call it Techno Bass again, we hated calling it Electro Bass! We thought the term had died."

My point is the word Electro seems to be very oriented to where you live and it seems to be a source of much conflict. Glad Scape One stated what he did, its very true.

At least new school stuff has its own indentity...i always say, if it wasnt for AUX 88 and Dynamix II, Electro would not have survived into the 90s and be here today.

I just don't know what kind of a battle we are fighting when so many mainstream releases are calling their trance, clash, etc Electro...hopefully Streetsounds can help that, but as Scape One stated, they even had to change the name.

I think if anything it needs to be termed "Electro FUNK" for the old school sounding stuff ( like Dominance type of stuff ) and Techno Bass for the other stuff. It just makes more sense I think. Electro ( Or Techno ) is definately the umbrella under which all electronic music lies.
      Fundamental Bass Intelligence Recordings - fbirecordings.net
      technoBass.net - technobass.net

Out now on 10" vinyl and poster: Umwelt vs. Morphogenetic - Renegade Electro Corporation, on New Flesh Remix...get it now from Templeplate.
    • Yeah, breaks as a whole were very influential, specially because of their popularity in the 70s...hell, there would be no breakdancing if it wasn't for yer breakz! :)

drschmidt;30455 wrote:

I always called the stuff I did technobreaks. Undeniably techno influenced, but I spent too much time spinning NuSkool breakbeat to leave that out of the equation.

Out now on 10" vinyl and poster: Umwelt vs. Morphogenetic - Renegade Electro Corporation, on New Flesh Remix...get it now from Templeplate.
    • Scape One;30475 wrote:

So basically...

'Electro' & 'Techno' (also 'Acid') are pre-nouns that are used in the descriptive part of naming a particular genre...

while 'Bass' 'Funk' 'Pop' 'Breaks' 'Rap' etc. make up the sub genre of category and classification.

:-/ ...i'd say thats a good approach, whatta ya'll think? ;D

• Cozmo D;18756 wrote:

Like? How do you base a track on Graffiti?

;D This comment got me a good laugh.

darrell;18722 wrote:

i always see americans
      getting up set when you say that they distended them self's from
      the other elements, it might have been the record companies saying
      it was old hat and they did not want it in their videos anymore, but now
      if you put on mtv or so all you see is bboys graffiti etc in the videos.

Cozmo D;18756 wrote:

I think your problem is you just don't like Americans. How many do you actually know? What "elements" did we "distance" ourselves from?

I think as far as the rap community here in the US does have a distance from hip hop elements music wise. The way I see it theres a recognition 4 the culture (graffiti, clothes,etc.) but not the pioneers & actual musical elements. Im saying rap not electro.

Not always though. There are some groups that have hip-hopish elements like boot camp clik is one I still follow. Then of course theres the dudes from the old school doing new tracks like Krs-1 on the new alchemist or Krs-1, Blaq poet & DJ Premier. Even with theres always going be a distance between just cause of the distance in time.
    • Well, for example there is no mentioning of Anthony Rother, who in the 90s was basically the central figure concerning Electro, especially when it comes to commercial success. Furthermore Darkbeat totally ignores the input of the German, Belgian or Dutch scene, which over a very long time were much more influential than e.g. the Spanish scene.

Therefore Darbkeat is something like a status quo report from an American perspective, rather than a well researched comprehensive documentary about Electro, as which it is sold.

A.
    • drschmidt;18642 wrote:

I think what today is called New Electro or Nu Electro really is the straight descendant of what Kraftwerk startet with Numbers or Music Non Stop. What many people refer to as Oldskool Electro is what was made out of Kraftwerk inspired beats (and sampled ones) which were incorporated into HipHop - this is what became Electro Boogie Breaks.

So if you are European and are mostly influenced by Kraftwerk, Rother and Techno, then this is what electro is for you. If you have the HipHop background, then this DVD won't satisfy your taste.

I'm from more of a Hip-Hop background but still enjoyed this video and found it very informative.
      I think in the past my attitude as regards to what Electro is has changed and before
      my attitude was if it dosn't sound like old skool Electrofunk then it's not.

Now if somebody says the word Electro to me i now think more along the lines
      of it could mean any sort of Electronic music. ;)
    • drschmidt;30566 wrote:

Well, for example there is no mentioning of Anthony Rother, who in the 90s was basically the central figure concerning Electro, especially when it comes to commercial success. Furthermore Darkbeat totally ignores the input of the German, Belgian or Dutch scene, which over a very long time were much more influential than e.g. the Spanish scene.

Therefore Darbkeat is something like a status quo report from an American perspective, rather than a well researched comprehensive documentary about Electro, as which it is sold.

A.

Firstly, cheers to everyone! is really nice to meet youl!

I partially agree with your point of view, but I think that this people (3gz productions) have another documentary called "Electro Dziska" where appears bands like Adult, Anthony Rotter, The Hacker and I think (not sure) that also I-F appears there too... the thing that I miss there is a mention to skandinavian scene.

Both films are complementary if you want to have a general view about the electro scene.

Also i think that it's normal that they be more centered in an American view, because they are Americans! If this documentary were made by europeans, should be reasonable that they film more footage with european people than americans.

Anyway, this is a really well done documentary, don't you think?

regards from Madrid.
      David.
    • Well, it's entitled: Darkbeat: An Electro World Voyage

So perhaps just my expectations weren't fulfilled. But to make it clear, I don't want to bash Darkbeat. It's quite entertaining and I appreciate the effort that people try to offer something to educate people about electro. I just mean, that it's not as comprehensive as people might think it is.
    • skeme;30558 wrote:

Always wondered what was the seperation beetween electro & technobass. Noticed tho records people call techno bass tend to have higher bpms than most electro tracks.

Well, yes. Techno Bass type stuff stays around 140 bpms...this is considered the middle ground, maybe a little faster or slower. You can notice this also about much of the new school Electro coming out, that its faster. If you notice most Old School stuff actually stays somewhere around 128 bpms...another factor that sorta separates the styles in characteristics.

• For my five cents this discussion reflects perfectly the diremption of what is called electro "scene" here. On one hand it's positive that everyone tries to stick to their own views of what electro is for them and it shows the variety of styles,
      on the other hand we will never grow together as one scene like this, because too many people only accept their truth of electro,
      be it oldschool, nuelectro, technobass, technobreaks or whatever you call your electro.
      Accusing other genres of taking the name, which we cant even get a proper meaning to is simply wrong. If we'd define, together as a scene, that electro is all of it, this wouldnt even be a topic.
      Compared to the little scene we have, theres already quite many boards, online communities etc...compared to any real scene activity in the real world in my opinion.
      Also, to quote Scape One: "More proper electro DJ’s are needed to represent the music as this would make the scene grow as with other genres of dance music"
      Else who do you want to produce your electro for then, if not to be played at parties, which defines scenes again ?
      Lets get together a little closer, and stop the pseudo protectionsim of virtual cakes, which dont exist in reality and start buliding real scenes.
      Think that we are already looking in the right direction, now we gotta go there.
      Darkbeat was a huge step forward if you ask me, thx for the movie !
    • I just wanna touch base on the whole genres thing.
      I for one am glad there is so much diversity in this scene right now.
      If everyone was throwing down 808 drum tracks and SVC350 vocoder tracks it would get pretty boring fast.
      We have all got our influences and that just makes the whole electro genre much more vibrant.
      There is way too many people trying to sound like other artists, and while being influenced by those around you can be good, it can also lead to a generic sound (which we dont want)
      Be influenced by all means, but use that to expand your own sound.
      Ultimately, make what you like to hear, not what you think others want to hear.
      I guess my point here is that it's all Electro, be it retro vocoder jams, chilled ambient grooves, funk tracks, ultra modern soundscapes, robot/machine tracks or breakbeat workouts!!
      Its one big cooking pot of ideas and this can only be good.

:cylon:
    • I think this is the conclusion from this topic, its all Electro/Techno, its just that we should be specific about the type of Elecro/Techno we make, ie: Electro Funk, Electro Pop, Techno Bass, Techno Breaks....this way you are descriptive about what you do. Otherwise its just too general and wont give any identity to genres which are part of an extremely diverse type of sound altogether. We can all live happy knowing we are all Electro, but there are too many styles and thats good...we cant all sound the same.

Its like saying, well, we play Rock but you do Heavy Metal...its better to let people know the type of Rock you play but be descriptive. To say you are not Rock or the only type of Rock, would be silly and wouldnt work.

@Andreas: i think you are right to an extent, it shouldnt be fixated just on bpms, but its a factor to some degree. Typically Old School is slower, and New School, specially Techno Bass, is faster...but yes, not always the case.

Ill let you in on a little secret because its a good example and reinforces what you say: the Anti-Gravity Machines remix that AUX did along with mine, were both made from 128 bpm samples that we received and could not alter. If you listen to all 3 ( original included ), each one seems to be a different tempo, but they are not.