darkbeat

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Amen!:)

DJR21;30582 wrote:

I just wanna touch base on the whole genres thing.
      I for one am glad there is so much diversity in this scene right now.
      If everyone was throwing down 808 drum tracks and SVC350 vocoder tracks it would get pretty boring fast.
      We have all got our influences and that just makes the whole electro genre much more vibrant.
      There is way too many people trying to sound like other artists, and while being influenced by those around you can be good, it can also lead to a generic sound (which we dont want)
      Be influenced by all means, but use that to expand your own sound.
      Ultimately, make what you like to hear, not what you think others want to hear.
      I guess my point here is that it's all Electro, be it retro vocoder jams, chilled ambient grooves, funk tracks, ultra modern soundscapes, robot/machine tracks or breakbeat workouts!!
      Its one big cooking pot of ideas and this can only be good.

:cylon:
      Fundamental Bass Intelligence Recordings - fbirecordings.net
      technoBass.net - technobass.net

Out now on 10" vinyl and poster: Umwelt vs. Morphogenetic - Renegade Electro Corporation, on New Flesh Remix...get it now from Templeplate.
    • being down with your musical sub genre descriptions, but doesnt change anything at last.
      Who do you want to describe subgenres for if no main genre exists and no audience who you would need descriptions for.
      Theres no electro scene in your town and not in mine so why would there be a technobass scene as a subgenre of an unexistent genre ?
      If no metal exists you dont need the "new wave of scandinavian death metal" genre, if you know what i mean,
      it would just seperate the few existing metal people in subgenres in this example.
      Also maybe I'm wrong and one scene out of these styles is an utopia and each deserves their own scene,
      but then not sure if any light is visible at the end of the tunnel in near future.
      Just wanting to go out and hear electro, whatever you call it and not sure if subgenres can help me there or are even contraproductive.
    • I think the point I am trying to make is that ALL Electronic Music is Electro/Techno. By being sub genre specific, you are letting people know what style of it you are into.

The problem in our scene is that people are trying to claim that what they typically define as Electro is the ONLY Electro...this is wrong. Specially when you take into account that the word means something totally different wherever you live. In the end, whether it be Electro House, Electro Clash, Electro Funk, IDM, Trance, or whatever, its all ELECTRO.

So yes, all of our towns have an Electro scene and if we are specific about which type of Electro we do, then people will be more open and less confused about what you do.

The other thing to bear in mind is that there is a European/American difference in what we call Electronic Music...some call it Electro, others Techno. In the end, its just Electronic Music period.

Do you see what I mean? Its like people of the world not getting along because we are all different "races"...no we are not, we are 1 people! That's it! :)
      Fundamental Bass Intelligence Recordings - fbirecordings.net
      technoBass.net - technobass.net

Out now on 10" vinyl and poster: Umwelt vs. Morphogenetic - Renegade Electro Corporation, on New Flesh Remix...get it now from Templeplate.
    • morphogenetic;30590 wrote:

The problem in our scene is that people are trying to claim that what they typically define as Electro is the ONLY Electro...this is wrong.

totally

morphogenetic;30590 wrote:

IIn the end, whether it be Electro House, Electro Clash, Electro Funk, IDM, Trance, or whatever, its all ELECTRO.

its all electronic music genres, but dunnno since when the whole electronic music genre is called electro. As this board is more or less worldwide, it seems there is a common denominator about what electro is mainly though, as noone posts trance, nor electrohouse here.

So splitting this "electroempire-electro", in endless subgenres, youll have problems to explain what you are listening to as just a handful releases would fit that genre per year..no ?

And as reading this post, even you electro freaks have problems to explain to each other, what each subgenre is about.

Would all make perfect sense to me if hundreds of releases, parties etc would fit for each of the subgenres, unfortunately it's not even enough for one main genre, whatever you call it now.
    • It's amazing that after 3+ decades electro music still doesn't recognise it's own identity and this is why what we call real electro music cannot find much of a place in the main stream. Even though the main stream seams really interested in 80's retro culture at the moment. you can't get more 80's than true electro right?

This identity problem has always been an issue from the beginning of Electro, but when exactly was that?
      Planet Rock?
      Numbers?
      More bounce to the ounce?
      Trans Europe Express?
      Stockhausen?

Electro music is about to enter it's 5th decade and I think it therefore will need a have to adapt to the world it wants to entertain in order to be recognised by a wider audience.

If we look to the past we can learn from what our predecessors did that made Electro music (of all styles) so important to us in the first place...

1970's: this was the decade of the pioneers, the artists that laid the foundations upon which we have all built our own structures. Kraftwerk, YMO, John Foxx, Jarre, Funkadelic, Moroder, etc. were all producing various forms of early electronic dance music although I only remember Kraftwerk using the term 'electro' as an abbreviation to describe their type of music. (Also the YMO 12" of 'firecracker' from 1979 has the words "Electrowave" written on the front cover).

1980's: This is where it all exploded and the artists from this decade seemed to be drawing inspiration from Funk, Kraftwerk, Disco, etc. A drum machine was the main tool in dance music so everything from disco to pop music was more or less Electro in sound.

Many early 80's hip hop artists used drum machines as samplers were not yet available (not cheap anyway). so tracks like '2, 3, Break' and 'here comes that beat' are really early hip hop records. (Pre-cursors to Electro Breaks?)

In this decade the term Electro came about from the UK mainly and especially for the street sounds albums to concentrate on the electro explosion of the early 80's. I would imagine that most of the artists on those albums had no idea that this scene was happening in the UK/Europe.

Even the Rock Steady Crew's short (thankfully - although fun) music career was made mainly for the UK market.

Most of the U.S. artists on the Electro albums would have referred to their music as hip hop, Rap, disco, soul, etc. Probably more influenced by James Brown and Funkadelic as much as Kraftwerk. except for the likes of Bambaataa & Juan Atkins.

1990's: Well this decade was saved by Detroit & Miami keeping the spirit of Electro (Bass & Techno?) going while New York went back to it's raw hip hop sound and the UK was busy with Rave and Drum & Bass!
      Then the the Breaks scene came along with Rennie Pilgrim and the excellent Jedi Knights to give the Uk scene a kick start back with the nostalgia of the electro days from the previous decade.

This is when the new school producers started calling the music Electro!

2000's: And finally the decade when it all came back full circle, electro at last had it's identity and then - wham - it splintered again into all directions and became difficult for anybody to identify what it was and where it was going. Because of this all the sub genre's came out to help avoid the confusion - or has it added to it?

2010's: Well here we are on the threshold of the future, about to step into another decade, less than 3 weeks away. It is up to us what direction we wish to take it. Electro is our mother-ship and we must set a course for our new destiny!

What ever we do it must be fresh, exciting, bold, new, original and it must be a beacon for the next generation to follow. We must educate those who are about to step into our shoes and to follow the path that our masters laid for us.
    • Scape One;30680 wrote:

It's amazing that after 3+ decades electro music still doesn't recognise it's own identity and this is why what we call real electro music cannot find much of a place in the main stream. Even though the main stream seams really interested in 80's retro culture at the moment. you can't get more 80's than true electro right?

this is completely puzzling to me and i don't think it's due to "identity" issues.
      with the popularity of the ed banger scene, the italo revival and this year's synth pop revival, you'd think electro would be the hippest thing on earth, but nada.

maybe it's cause we are too old and unattractive. would be ironic if we who are keeping this thing alive are at the same time (unintentionally, of course) preventing a revival/appropriation by the mainstream.
    • Mainstream revivals can be scary things.

I guess the Electro that we like has had it's day already in the early 80's but most people or the media don't seem to know what Electro was even then.

Paul Hardcastle's '19' peaked at No 1 in the UK (for 5 weeks) and other European charts in 1985. Now do we consider this record to be Electro? If you go to wikipedia it has the genre under New Wave, Freestyle, Post-disco, R&B, Dance-pop.

I think the first identity crisis comes from the old school B-boy image, thick laces, Graffiti art, Lino etc. this is already associated with Old School Hip Hop culture and is already prevalent in the media today with many established artists and B Boy crews.

The 2nd comes from the Lap-top/DJ image which is already established with Techno/house/etc.

The 3rd comes from the Electro-pop/synth-pop scenes, very new-wave and pop/rock...

So what image should Electro have? an 808? or is that taken by already by the Techno scene?

I guess the only unique thing we have left is Robots?

So our type of music is Robot Electro...

..or Electrobot Bass

..or Bass4bots! :)
    • DJR21;31259 wrote:

Im stealing that for a song title..!!
      "Electrobotik"....hmmm !!
      ;D

Well np if u ask me, its from Electrobotik Disco EP from Vector lovers. And also u should know that electrobotiks web site is on the way... When i find time to finish it... Saying this just that u know that theres been some usage of it :)