Pinned The BIG Electro Soul / RnB thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Here's a precious diamond from 1985: 52nd Street's "Tell Me (How It Feels)". Along with Loose Ends' "Hanging on a string", maybe the finest examples of the much loved mid-80s brit-soul/funk scene.

[YT]AxEfwyHTTl0[/YT]

I also loved these 2 UK chart hits: Princess' "Say I'm Your Number 1" and Jaki Graham's "Round And Round". Jaki had also "Breaking Away" and some nice duets with David Grant. David was earlier the half of Linx, an excellent UK duo with at least one timeless soul/funk classic: 1980's "You're Lying", an 80s top-10 soul/funk favourite for me!

[YT]2kdmWThnL2U&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]fj2mEAGACrY[/YT]

[YT]SoV1Q5Hgfro[/YT]

I think i softened it too much, so i'll get back with... rawer grooves and tougher vocals!
    • How the hell did you discover Michael Sterling?!!! Yes, he was a producer and a mixing engineer for Luke's labels. He was also the owner of Success Records (where this little gem came out, back in 1983), a sublabel of his own TSOM (The Sound Of Miami), both specializing in soul/funk/electro releases, active for about 8 years (1983-1991). One of his aliases was Formula 6; i'm attaching the very very nice 1985 electro "All Nite (I Don't Care)", out also on the classic electro label Sunnyview Records.
      [YT]Ql5aRfLa_7U[/YT]
    • [yt]xceQvaDAl08[/yt] Royalle Delite - Freak For You

[yt]wtRyrJv893U[/yt] Cashflow - Party Freak

[yt]vIcvu5ZdjEY&feature=related[/yt] Tom Browne - Brighter Tommorow

[yt]VNaZd95GpgE[/yt] Cool Notes - In Your Car

Last one/two are more soulfull and definately not 808's and wasn't to sure about their inclusion!

Also I couldn't get the [yt] Youtube stuff to work, It's says HTML is off and I can't turn it on!
    • excellent stuff, glad you included the last two!
      i especially liked the cool notes song.
      if you got some more like that, drop the gems in here!

chaka khan's 1984 album "i feel for you" has a full-fledged electro sound and there are many good songs on it.

the title track is the most obvious one ... here's a live version minus the electro drums:

[YT]Bahz4qCejSI[/YT]

My Love is alive is totally Arthur Baker/John Robie, but i couldn't find it on the tube.
    • lj, if you liked the Cool Notes, you may like this

[yt]t2gyAEWVMhE[/yt] Mary Jane Girls - All Night Long

A couple of Steve Arrington songs that used to appeal to me in my Electro Funk youth

[yt]nVXYsQWvYu0[/yt] Dancin' In The Key Of Life

[yt]LnV9EGBjw18[/yt] Feel So Real (Bad Youtube quality on this)

Another old fave of mine is Aurra - You & Me Tonight

[yt]4SBtWcbiz-U[/yt]

This is the sort of music I liked apart from Electro Funk/Hip Hop in 1984/5 and it may fit this thread, not 100% sure, I was Cameo/Loose Ends mad too...

I'll try and think of some more... :)

Has this been mentioned

[yt]AVuJ16Tabbk[/yt] Zapp - Computer Love

Adding more - Like D-Train this one(almost Electro Funk or it is!)

[yt]22F9rCnf0nw[/yt] Unique - What I Got Is What You Need

More synth funk styled this one but still with vocals

[yt]Zpb3a3P3_G4[/yt] Stone - Time

This isn't the best but very 808 Loose Ends style beatwise(Not a fave of mine at all, but fits the thread)

[yt]nY9AqqHW810[/yt]

another similarly Loose Ends-y styled tune

[yt]cS072ZyVfUM[/yt] Mtume - Juicy Fruit

That's enough for the minute!

This band where very Cameo styled, but were heading again into funk territory, but this is quite R&B also, I quite like this, I have 1 Con Funk Shun tune but I just found this looking for Con Funk Shun, it's new to me!

[yt]afPuBy8aLQI[/yt]

Maybe this...takes me back this one...

[yt]OsayCi8DDIs[/yt] Timex Social Club - Rumours

Right, that's definately it now, exhausted thinking...
    • Just thought of some more

[yt]HoyB3rTw2Ps[/yt] Fonda Rae - Touch Me

[yt]mTo370CWO4w[/yt] Caprice - 100%

[yt]rt32InzsqKk&feature=fvw[/yt] Vicky D - This Beat Is Mine

[yt]TKdryxg5_4g[/yt] Sharon Redd - Beat The Street

[yt]rDJsJCAcRkQ[/yt] Paul Hardcastle - Don't Waste My Time

[yt]Qd2P1YCsskA[/yt] Cool Notes - Spend The Night

[yt]uwWIDrOkHPU[/yt] Total Contrast - Takes A Little Time

[yt]vqz0mMtQX_c[/yt] Cherelle/Alex O'Neal - Saturday Love

Most other things I would have come up with have already been mentioned....
    • They could also fit in here I think:

Chuck Stanley - The Finer Things in Life
      [yt]CeKX1Ip4Hk8[/yt]
      Strafe - Set It Off
      [yt]-giEkQDjgu8[/yt]
      Midnight Star - Curious
      [yt]l5VC5Q6MBzI[/yt]
      Bar-Kays - Do It
      [yt]VMVrNU5v_Lo[/yt]
      Cameo - Back and Forth
      [yt]A2eU2CG3WN8[/yt]

and last but not least one of my alltime favorite beats:

Barbara Mason - Another Man
      [yt]S-HI12D29jY[/yt]
    • videos fixed... :headspin:

@breakmisterdst
      the youtube embedding is also explained in the EE info section:
      electroempire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

@lloyd
      i've tried fixing the two clips... but didnt work.
      might be a missing number~letter~.. in the video code.
      which videos was it?

i should better find a way to enable youtube auto embedding
      (were its enough to post the normal url only) :D
      i'll update the forum software early next year.. lets see.
    • elektroakust.;31055 wrote:

videos fixed... :headspin:

@breakmisterdst
      the youtube embedding is also explained in the EE info section:
      electroempire.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

@lloyd
      i've tried fixing the two clips... but didnt work.
      might be a missing number~letter~.. in the video code.
      which videos was it?

i should better find a way to enable youtube auto embedding
      (were its enough to post the normal url only) :D
      i'll update the forum software early next year.. lets see.

Matt, Very strange, Im sure i copied the correct number. I forgotton what clips they where now ;D
    • In the same vein as Marvin's "Sexual Healing", Eugene Wilde's mellow masterpiece "Gotta Get You Home Tonight"

[YT]cOwvU2DGBF8[/YT]

I can't find Kleeer's "Tonight" that fits perfectly here... :(

However a brilliant Rene & Angela tune, "Secret Rendez-vous", although strictly 80s r&b (you won't hear an electro-funk groove at all), will do the job!

[YT]VosYXjWc87c[/YT]

I'll be back ;)
    • Midnight Star's 1986's "Midas Touch"; along with "Curious" the finest mellow moments of these great, originated from Kentucky, 80s groovers!

[YT]DVe0o6lRgcY&feature=related[/YT]

...and the lesser known, but excellent same year's "Kinky Girl" by The Creations

[YT]PMm9OBjlv7k[/YT]

...and one of my all-time 80s favs, 1984's "Lady Shine", by T.H.S. (The Horne Section), aka the guy behind The Creations, Henry Horne.
      WHAT A GROOOOOOVE!!!!!!!!!! :headspin: :headspin: :headspin:

[YT]-jL2Eo6m_48[/YT]

GOD, I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!
    • [YT]bDrVBoF1aqs[/YT]More disco - but with Electro Funk/Rnb feel, Raw Silk - Do It To The Music

[YT]jUgsmsvSYow[/YT] Cameo - She's Strange

[YT]rYx0tysKtnw[/YT] Cameo - Single Life(My all time favourite Cameo song)

[YT]npjvhztXtc4[/YT] Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - I Wonder If I Take You Home

[YT]9ikZcGa8V1Q[/YT] Full Force - Alice(Heading into Hip Hop territory but still a classic Rnb/Electro fusion)

[YT]B9BB50EU68U[/YT] Rockers Revenge - Walking On Sunshine(not sure too include this as more disco styled but heavy on Electro Funk/Soul Vibes that is D-Train styled almost)

:)
    • [YT]qAFg2TQk9v0[/YT] New Edition - Candy(probably the most commercial sounding Electro Funk/Rnb fusion ever, but I used to love it when I was 12)

[YT]Z3At5D5vP_U[/YT] Captain Rapp - Bad Times(I Can't Stand It) PS That's not a comment :D

[YT]CtPT8w7wEa4[/YT] Imagination - Music & Lights(Has a slight Electro Funky feel), won't put Illusions etc on but all similar vibes...

[YT]zDdpD5P2ytU[/YT] B-Side to Rockit, I used to listen to this more than the A-side as a kid(more 70's disco but Electro Funky Soul in style)

[YT]gBB8RVZ3a4E[/YT] Maze - Twilight(Instrumental Electro Soul tune)

[YT]216WHfHbscg[/YT] Wally Badarou - Chief Inspetor(another instrumental)

[YT]ub9NPU4oDE8[/YT] Joyce Simms - Lifetime Love, overshadowed by All & All but the more soulfull of the two

[YT]JNpica7UQuA[/YT] Evelyn 'Champagne' King - Love Come Down(Electro funk-ish bassline)

[YT]1vdALm-PieU&feature=fvw[/YT] David Grant - Watching You, Watching Me(I bought this 12" in 1983, he's now on CBEEBIES and my little'n watches him)

[YT]aD21JDMp86c&feature=fvw[/YT] Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me(M Jackson singing background vocals)
    • [YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRYERvj5Tt4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRYERvj5Tt4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3l6FM57Qq8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3l6FM57Qq8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSKwKnGkQ5k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSKwKnGkQ5k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
      Postcode lottery........you're thick if you deny it exists
    • Glad to see more 'n' more people posting videos on this thread! As for the choices, they are top quality indeed; some real gems here!

Although posted on my "Prince Charles & The City Beat Band" thread (which i have to continue some time...), this 1986 groove is sooo mellow and funky (also so different from all the stuff released before by this ultimate street-funk band) that it definitely deserves an inclusion here:

[YT]EoaUJqP14RM[/YT]

This 1982 rare funk tune is absolutely AMAZING!!!

[YT]1PRDAvg0ZUQ[/YT]

...and this post's "bomb"in the shape of 1984's "Kick It Out" by none other than Dr. Perri Johnson! A b-boy fav!:headspin:

[YT]d6mrWIbFxk4[/YT]

I'll be back! :cylon: