Electro chart - the future

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Electro chart - the future

Sequel to the thread "Yes Or No - Streetsounds Electro Chart"
      which pretty much focuses on what went wrong...

Here's a new thread to focus on what should or could be done better in the future.

Does the Electro scene need a chart?

If Street Sounds continue their chart, what should be done better?

Should someone else fully neutral manage a new chart? Who?

Any ideas / concepts / concrete plans?

Please post your opinions & discuss.
    • Does the Electro scene need a chart?
      1.No

reason :
      since electro culture does not have paper magazines/emagazines (blogs are not emagazines) does not have regular clubs (not club nights) not having proper media (gfr/cbs/elektrana are not strictly into electro) , and so on that might stands to having some "chart" till then spread electro sound ...

anything above to be made it ...

btw to "prove" that we dont need chart simple question

how many dj/live act gigs YOU have last and this year ?
    • Just a suggestion.

Work with Discogs, garner release info from their site using the tag 'electro'

Then you could build a chart around their ratings system combined with the number of people who claim to own a record, any track older than a month is no longer counted within the chart.

or something along those lines
    • I think it's necessary Its nice to see who is doing what, what artists and labels are putting out really good music as a musician were you add up with your peers and fans I think we should definitely have a neutral chart were other artist vote a chart that has no attachment to a label. Lets say we do and EE chart only EE members vote that way it has no chance of being corrupted by people family and friends who are not into our music voting or maybe do a monthly chart with stats accumulated from stores but that might be a lot of work.
    • dwellz rawkz;45788 wrote:

or maybe do a monthly chart with stats accumulated from stores but that might be a lot of work.

it would only be a lot of effort with the initial setting up, once the software is in place it would pretty much automatic, however cooperation with stores is unlikely to happen.
    • Honestly, whether it is a label or an individual entity, there are issues with the possibility of corruption and bias. I think that there should be charts on every website if they'd like, but i think it needs to be done 100% electronically by a polling system that is not entered by the individual running the site, but rather the general community.

Has anyone looked into Survey Monkey? it is a software that you can embed on your site and allows for electronic polling and surveying... surveymonkey.com

We are thinking of using it on our site, looks neat. :)
      Fundamental Bass Intelligence Recordings - fbirecordings.net
      technoBass.net - technobass.net

Out now on 10" vinyl and poster: Umwelt vs. Morphogenetic - Renegade Electro Corporation, on New Flesh Remix...get it now from Templeplate.
    • why not to post charts from different and representative electro radio shows around the globe??

with a view over 4 or 5 different charts, we could have a real wide view about what is happening today!

I am thinking about Lee, hectorg, spotta, DVS, Awco... just to mention someone... sure there out are so many that could participate!
    • i think the "scene" doesn't need a chart.
      you have enough blogs/forum/platforms to inform yourself about new release, artists etc. and make your one position to the released tracks. you have also enough dj mixes and radio djs who play electro. so you hear whats new, fresh and bangin. and when you haven't the time in one week to hear 4-8 hours electro, then trust the streetsounds chart :ugly: ;)

and i think the whole electro-scene-thing is to smal for a weekly chart. there are not enough releases and not enough buyers for a release, to choose a top 20 weekly. maybe a chart every month is better ???
      and two other ideas for a chart:
      - a releas can stay longer then 3 month in the chart
      - and VA-releases are one position in the chart. so you can't vote for 5 tracks from one album exept the track will released as a single ep

just some words and ideas from an electro-lover :-* ;D
    • It's not a bad idea for each electro community website to have their own chart. I am intrigued about Dave's idea of aggregating sales charts from various websites and pulling them into one chart. Maybe EE, EA, TechnoBass.net and any other community could all have RSS feeds of their own charts which could then be aggregated into one larger one (combined with sales from websites). This could then be displayed on multiple sites. That would create a reference in different places and therefore impossible to corrupt by one person without it being immediately obvious. It's possible to do with RSS feeds and PHP.
    • stjarna;45801 wrote:

It's not a bad idea for each electro community website to have their own charts. I am intrigued about Dave's idea of aggregating sales charts from various websites and pulling them into one chart. Maybe EE, EA, TechnoBass.net and any other community could all have RSS feeds of their own charts which could then be aggregated into one larger one (combined with sales from websites), which could then be displayed on multiple sites. That would create a reference in different places and therefore impossible to corrupt by one person without it being immediately obvious.

+1 for that idea
    • Sales chart will bring first the releases that has more promotion than others, so there will be always the "big" names, because they have this large infrastructure of promotion, and it will put behind to new artist that maybe doesnt have this help.

To sell more is not synonymous of quality.

I think that a sales chart is more related with TOP40 mainstream music. Keep in mind that the latest releases that are presented here rarely pass 100 copies!
    • I have a suggestion: Every other week every show @ GFR and other electro shows presents personal 10 from people that's into electro. That way you always keep the chart fresh and interesting. And it could be called 'Personal electro top 10'. And when you look at it, when the list of people runs out, we can start from beginning coz enough time passed for whole new chart with whole new tunes in it. So for example Lee picks the fella for the next week and there's a chance for everyone to express their personal tastes and have a spotlight for one whole week 8-) What say you?
    • morphogenetic;45794 wrote:

Honestly, whether it is a label or an individual entity, there are issues with the possibility of corruption and bias. I think that there should be charts on every website if they'd like, but i think it needs to be done 100% electronically by a polling system that is not entered by the individual running the site, but rather the general community.

Has anyone looked into Survey Monkey? it is a software that you can embed on your site and allows for electronic polling and surveying... surveymonkey.com

We are thinking of using it on our site, looks neat. :)

dope
    • xed;45814 wrote:

I have a suggestion: Every other week every show @ GFR and other electro shows presents personal 10 from people that's into electro. That way you always keep the chart fresh and interesting. And it could be called 'Personal electro top 10'. And when you look at it, when the list of people runs out, we can start from beginning coz enough time passed for whole new chart with whole new tunes in it. So for example Lee picks the fella for the next week and there's a chance for everyone to express their personal tastes and have a spotlight for one whole week 8-) What say you?

Actually i think this is quite a good idea.
      Kinda like dropping a personal recommendation chart for Juno.
      It would make for good radio i think, also be nice to hear what other dj's/producers/fans etc are currently into.
      If several guys are playing the same few tunes, then is is a nice indicator of what is grabbing peoples attention.
      Maybe even get them to drop it in mix format?
      Doesnt even have to be in any order, just 10 tracks you are liking.
      I'd be up for that.
      Possibly have a sticky thread here to post the top 10's and mixes ?
    • xed;45814 wrote:

I have a suggestion: Every other week every show @ GFR and other electro shows presents personal 10 from people that's into electro. That way you always keep the chart fresh and interesting. And it could be called 'Personal electro top 10'. And when you look at it, when the list of people runs out, we can start from beginning coz enough time passed for whole new chart with whole new tunes in it. So for example Lee picks the fella for the next week and there's a chance for everyone to express their personal tastes and have a spotlight for one whole week 8-) What say you?

sound great! also the idea with the personal top10electromix. much better than a weekly chart
    • Does the Electro scene need a chart?:
      Neeeeeed? Absoultely not. The chart, however, IS a great way to build community around the scene; Though i dont think its a necessity for the music itself, it gets people talking and interacting in a way that wouldnt be present otherwise... Its a great tool for a lot of fans that need guidance but as 'Albotron' stated before, there is plenty of press on different sites for guidance.. What i say is: Pick the site/person that represents your tastes the best and go with it. Its really that simple. If 'Electro Empire' isnt doing it for you, go to 'Electrobotiks' or 'Electro Alliance' or 'Techno Bass' or 'Robots For Robots' or 'City Of Bass' or any of the other sites that promote electro. They all have different views and alliances. So take your pick based on what best suits your needs!

If Street Sounds continue their chart, what should be done better?:
      I dont think thats going to happen. The previous thread probably took Morgan out of the chart business forever. I dont blame him to be honest. Which is really unfortunate that it had to go down like it did (nastiness on both sides) because regardless of personal opinion on the chart, the man has some business knowledge/connections and could be of great help redesigning how a chart could actually work for everyone.

Should someone else fully neutral manage a new chart? Who?:
      I think it would be great (as others have said) if each forum had their own chart but that would just create the same problem if say Larry did Electro Alliances', Santino did Techno Bass', and Matt did Electro Empires'... The only issue with that is it would take away from the prestige or being atop a chart if there are 4 different charts to conquer. It would be a carbon copy of what happened with Morgan. Not that those fine gentlemen (Larry, Santino & Matt) cant be trusted but people are going to think things regardless. Everybody who makes money, respect, fame off of electro is biased in the minds of the fan.. It all comes down to trust really. I know IIIII could trust those guys to do the right thing (especially after all this chart drama) but i know that not everyone is going to feel that way.. An un-affiliated party is what is needed. Neutrality. The question of who and how is beyond me though. Sorry.

Any ideas/concepts/concrete plans?:
      Not really besides what i already stated. Though the above was certainly not my attempt at selling myself as a chart messiah. Im (as is every other person) biased too. If i put together a chart you might see a song from Skinny Puppy or Front 242 on there every now and again. Every one of us comes from different backgrounds. Im 27, grew up listening to new wave, industrial & post punk. My opinion of where i think electro should be headed is going to be different from the 42 year old b-boy from England who grew up with Street Sounds. Duh. Makes perfect sense, right? We should stop pretending that a unified chart under the name 'Electro' is going to work. Now if you split up the genres you might have a decent chance but otherwise, 'electro' stands for too much. Each decade-born person is going to have a different view of it. My idea would be to split it up. There is sci-fi electro, electro-bass, techno-bass, dark electro, minimal electro, elecro-funk, oldschool electro, nu-electro and more... its out of control... I mean really.. Talk to the 18 year old, die hard 'Boyz Noize' fan that thinks they are the voice of electro and see how far you get with that. It means different things to different people. So even if we did split it up into sub-genres there would be much argument about genre definitions and what belonged where. Its much more complicated than we believe. I think the people that have the most to gain from this move should figure it out. It should be the trusted label heads/website people that get together privately after you have some ideas from the public and figure out a way to make this work. Isnt there some sort of 'Organizational Chart' within electro about who runs what? Im just kidding but you get what i mean... They are the ones that truly understand the implications of a 'biased vs unbiased' chart. And it is them who these charts impact if done right/wrong. I would think that we have enough bright minds and talented programmers to get this figured out.

On a different note:

I ran a show (Dark Science Electro) and never ONCE looked to the SS (or anywhere else for that matter) chart for guidance on what I was going to play, buy or listen to.. I always liked to think of my own show as my own 'electro chart'. It's in no way as flashy or attention getting as SS chart but that wasnt the point for me... I can assure you that there are still people out there that would rather look to my shows tracklisting for guidance rather than to the SS chart or any other chart/show for that matter.. And thats okay because they all stand for different things. One stands for MY taste in electro and one stands for HIS (the other chart provider/deeay) taste in electro. The success of a chart compiled by a human is only as successful as how much you align yourself with that one persons tastes in music. The thing about MY taste in electro is that i dont make a penny off what i do with deejaying so my bias never gets called into question... Which sucks for anyone who does have something to gain because they could be attempting to be legit... Loosely managed partnerships that exist between anyone who acts as a window to the public (speaking for a group) and the people who benefit from that window is wrong. Its like the government lobbying or (to keep it relevant) 'Payola' in general!! So i only play something if it sounds good to ME. If it brings those new, up and coming artists some plays on their Soundcloud account or gets them noticed by a label head, my job is done.... Im in it for the music.. But more importantly im in it for the people behind the music. My payment is the thanks i get from the artists and fans at the end of the day...

Johan

elektroakust.;45778 wrote:

Sequel to the thread "Yes Or No - Streetsounds Electro Chart"
      which pretty much focuses on what went wrong...

Here's a new thread to focus on what should or could be done better in the future.

Does the Electro scene need a chart?

If Street Sounds continue their chart, what should be done better?

Should someone else fully neutral manage a new chart? Who? How?

Please post your opinions & discuss.