If Jesus/God came to Earth

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If Jesus/God came to Earth

and it is COMPLETELY 100% Him because He has done something to PROVE to us all (of EVERY RELIGION) that he DOES exist (even the atheists are now completely 100% convinced of Jesus & who He is) what do you think would happen on Earth?
      First thing I would like to know would the Pope lose his job & all the other holy employees (right down to the priests) because they would have nothing to preach about now??? They wouldn't be needed really would they? They would be surplus to requirement after Jesus shot off back to where he came from.

Do you think everybody would live a more harmonious life?

Mad question I know but religion always gets mixed responses & this place has been quiet of late
      Postcode lottery........you're thick if you deny it exists
    • I'd imagine Jesus would fuck off again pretty sharpish when he saw how his 'followers' were behaving and how 'his word' was being warped for humanistic, selfish gains.

For God, I'd imagine the scientific community would be tripping over themselves with questions such as: where did you come from? Who created you? If you created the universe, why bother with all that evolution and expansion stuff? Why not just make things as you wanted them to start with? Why fill a universe with trillions of barren, non-life supporting planets? Why create suns that have finite life-spans? How many planets in our galaxy has sentient life? DO they 'worship' you? Why do you require worship? And will we ever be able to leave our own galaxy?

And yeah, organised religion wouldn't know how to handle it. A massive, hilarious collapse.

But it's not going to happen.
    • didas;54703 wrote:

Well, first of all it's not going to happen, but if it did I'd have a few questions about the nature of reality that I'd like to ask.

We would have to define the meaning of the term 'reality' first. That could take a while mate.

155 :)
      Never to the left of a yoga mat!
    • nuklion;54714 wrote:

If the real Jesus did come back to life, it would be the nail in coffin for christianity as he would be just a normal
      bloke, after all the Jesus myth has served the church well, but millions will still believe no matter what and no doubt the church would put out propaganda and everything would get muddied.

Not quite because, according to accepted Christian theology now:

1) Jesus has already come back from the dead once before - and they are expecting a return anyway. If ever such an event took place it would not be 'the nail in the coffin', but rather the fulfilment of scripture - and therefore testament to the truth of the Christian eschatological vision.

• 155;54724 wrote:

Not quite because, according to accepted Christian theology now:

1) Jesus has already come back from the dead once before - and they are expecting a return anyway. If ever such an event took place it would not be 'the nail in the coffin', but rather the fulfilment of scripture - and therefore testament to the truth of the Christian eschatological vision.

It would be the nail in the coffin for some aspects of Christianity though, such as the fundementalist 'Jesus hates fags' brigade.
    • beagle;54727 wrote:

I'm guessing in this context, we'd mean: The state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

Which assumes that such an understanding is possible? Put simply, how or why do you think things exist as they are? How can you be sure that your reality is 'real'?

The stuff of endless undergraduate debate I suspect!

• beagle;54728 wrote:

It would be the nail in the coffin for some aspects of Christianity though, such as the fundementalist 'Jesus hates fags' brigade.

Not sure about this point. It would perhaps give an opportunity for question to be asked directly and a direct answer given. The question is, what happens (in the event of such an event) if the answers that are given do not meet with the individual's own expectations and needs?

That is when the arguing starts!

• 155;54729 wrote:

Which assumes that such an understanding is possible? Put simply, how or why do you think things exist as they are? How can you be sure that your reality is 'real'?

The stuff of endless undergraduate debate I suspect!

What we think or what understanding we have is neither here nor there I expect. I suspect there is a 'reality' regardless of whether or not it tallies up with what we think.

Perhaps!

And if a 'god' and this chap Jesus did suddenly turn up and we started to question them about the nature of reality, would we believe what they say? I'd imagine the creator of the universe and his offspring could also be almightily convincing bullshitters! :D
    • 155;54730 wrote:

Not sure about this point. It would perhaps give an opportunity for question to be asked directly and a direct answer given. The question is, what happens (in the event of such an event) if the answers that are given do not meet with the individual's own expectations and needs?

That is when the arguing starts!

Well, what I mean is, you've got all these 'christians' (mainly in America) who think that it's right to be violently homophobic as that's what they think Jesus would want.
      But surely Jesus (if there was such a person) was an all-loving, chilled out anti-violence hippy. It would crush their silly beliefs in a second. OR, perhaps, lead them to believe that this is not the messiah (and just a naughty boy!)
    • beagle;54733 wrote:

Well, what I mean is, you've got all these 'christians' (mainly in America) who think that it's right to be violently homophobic as that's what they think Jesus would want.
      But surely Jesus (if there was such a person) was an all-loving, chilled out anti-violence hippy. It would crush their silly beliefs in a second. OR, perhaps, lead them to believe that this is not the messiah (and just a naughty boy!)

Jesus did exist mate. Robert Powell played him in a documentary every Sunday years ago :D
      Wonder what Stephen Hawkin would say to him
    • beagle;54789 wrote:

As far as I'm aware, Hawking is agnostic. I guess he'd have some pretty heavy-weight questions!

He is mate. The church aren't a fan as we all know ;D There is no such thing as God & He did not create the universe but The Big Bang did (according to him anyway)
      He once said , "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist".