Advice for Noob To Recreate Electro Sound, Suggestion for Programs, etc.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mine turned up today. Hooray! I immediate upgraded the OS to version 1.06. I tried syncing it to Reason 7 from Reason's midi out, Analog 4 as slave. No problems at all. Seems solid. Deleted all the factory presets since they sound like shit.

So essentially, I'd need a cable with a balanced stereo 1/4 inch TRS connector on one end and two mono 1/8 inch connectors on the other? I'm assuming the other end is not balanced? Aghh! I hate cabling stuff. I'll probably try and find a place that can make them for me.
    • MannerMode;68565 wrote:

Mine turned up today. Hooray! I immediate upgraded the OS to version 1.06. I tried syncing it to Reason 7 from Reason's midi out, Analog 4 as slave. No problems at all. Seems solid. Deleted all the factory presets since they sound like shit.

So essentially, I'd need a cable with a balanced stereo 1/4 inch TRS connector on one end and two mono 1/8 inch connectors on the other? I'm assuming the other end is not balanced? Aghh! I hate cabling stuff. I'll probably try and find a place that can make them for me.

Ig you go down to Guitar Center and tell them you need an "insert cable," that is what they will give you. It's a TRS to dual TS. It's used for the insert jacks on mixers (etc) that is an inline effects chain.

But, all it really does is take a stereo signal and split it up to two mono signals.

Then, all you need is a way to go from 1/4" TS (mono or unbalanced, which ever you prefer), to 1/8" TS.

--

Balanced means it's a mono signal, but with a common ground. The signal is sent in-phase and out-of-phase, so that when they are recombined (in correct phase), any noise that was picked up from the cable will be phase canceled.

Stereo (or dual mono) means is two signals with a common ground. The two signals might be unrelated.

Stereo and balanced cables are the same thing. Stereo and balanced connections are entirely different.
    • MannerMode;68598 wrote:

Ok. Hit a little brick wall today. I hope someone can help. How can I get the Analog Four to trigger the drum modules independently? Right now, they are all firing off in unison!! Any suggestions?

Hey, man, you get this sorted out (sorry, didn't notice the reply til now).

I think you can set A, B, C and D to all Gate. But, I haven't tried it out at all. It may or may not work? Not sure. You might need to p-lock each gate on and off. Treat it like one track rather than four.
    • MannerMode;68842 wrote:

Another thing I found is how rather tricky it is to get accurate MIDI sync going. Even with offsetting the MIDI tracks, it isn't quite tight.

What are you syncing to? I have my Analog Four syncing to an Octatrack and I'm not noticing any real issues.

Octatrack > Thru Box > Analog Four

So, in theory, that should be more than 10 milliseconds of delay, but, it doesn't really feel like that.

But, even if there was like 20ms of jitter, that's really not that big of a deal. I'm trying to find the link of a site that has done a ton of testing on the jitter for sequencers. It had the Octatrack as one of the best (not THE best, but, in like the top five). It had the TR-909 and TR-808 in like the bottom of the stack (the sync out on those was BAD).

Found the site:

innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS%20Litmus.html

Check out some of the classic drum machines and how bad their timing is. :)