Why didn't Miami Bass take off in the UK

• Was talking to someone from L.A. and he said he was Electro fan and loved the 80's but hated it when Gangster Rap really took off with N.W.A. and Colours the movie back in 1988.
    But he said that Miami Bass was popular in L.A. between 1986-1989 which i never knew.I always thought the Electro sound had split after 1986 between Miami with Bass music,Detroit with House and Techno and a hardcore in L.A. with the Techno Hop label.
    What also gets me is the years between 1987-1989 after Breakin had finshed and the words of Electro had faded in the UK but Hip Hop and House seem to be the genres that where popular but i just wondered why Electro didn't continue in the UK in the form of Miami Bass and the likes of the L.A. lot like the Unkwon DJ and the Techno Hop label.

• I would say that there were a few reasons, one was just a matter of supply,after the Electro series changed its name to Hip Hop 14 etc....it was really hard to buy Electro and i know myself i resorted to buying House music etcc instead because i didnt like the hip hop sound that they were trying to push on us and therfore House music was basically the closest i could get to buying the electronic sound, but it but it was a real step backwards and i didnt even like it lol. I was a breaker/B boy and just wanted something to dance to but just wasnt into that transition period at the time. Im not sure but i also think that these were the years that people really started to buy CD'S compared to vinyl and thefore much of the stuff that was coming out on CD was mainly mainstream music (Michael Jackson ,Madonna etc and therefore a lot of the less popular music such as Miami bass,electro took a big hit in sales in fact even now 25 years later i only think ther are only a hand full of Electro CDs worth buying so what does that tell you??? sorry if i dont make sense im pissed hic and cant be botherd to retype :P

• Alot of sense 2 me u make(sorry!)-can't fault most of that post.
    Also think that people associate music genres with styles- Rap/Hip Hop was associated 2 much with the 'Gangster bullshit'/being cool(as B boying seemed uncool-not my opinion!) & Electro seemed a bit outdated(also not my opinion!). So along came Miami Bass & House. If i never hung round with my best mate(who got me in2 House),& lived in a seaside resort full of clubs that always played House/Rave,it mite have been different. I always liked the electronic sound in Hip Hop(as always liked electronic sounds),so as Hip Hop/Rap went less electronic & more Gangster i slowly went more & more in2 other music(now musically just live in the past !!!).
    Also as i was a 'Star Wars' fan loved 'Maggotron',when i bought 'Return To Planet Bass' when left YTS in early 88!

• Just a thing that Billy mentioned about Hiphop and House being popular between 87-89, was it really that popular at that time or was it because the electronic sound had disappeared and people didnt know what to buy and simply latched on to what they could. I know me and my friends at the time just wanted to buy Electro but couldnt seem to get our hands on it with the odd exception like Ecectros example Maggaton. As well as this i remember a lot of people absolutley hating Hip Hop and giving us some right stick, the same people years later that probably embraced the whole genre.

• It wasn't just electronic stuff declining in Hip Hop is why i went in2 House.I hated,the attitude that Hip Hop had(even starting in the late 80's),coz most peoples version of it then was thru Rap as it was more in the public eye(or ear!) coz of decline of bboying as being uncool(not my opinion!). E.g's-Westwood on Radio 1(gunshots & horns!)/having 2 smoke blunts/HHC(i.e. people mostly thinking rap started with PE)/crap dancing that got me bored.
    House seemed like a soft genre compared 2 Hip Hop is why they always hated each other.And like Rave,House seemed better(up til 92/93)!
    I always liked what Electro i heard late 80's/early 90's(tho not so much of it around then!),but Hip Hop's commercial image was unfortunately 'Rap' & it's that image-that bored me! I think if it wasn't 4 DJ's/Turntablists/B Boying reemerging in 90's,Hip Hop would b dead 4 me. As the rapping since early 90's just wasn't gr8 anymore/doesn't reflect anything in my life. I just bought music thru the 90's/noughties i liked(sometimes the new stuff was hip hop tho).

• Kept into Hip Hop till the start of 1989 but found House music to be the next step from Electro in 1987 and 1988 alongside the Acid stuff.In truth started to listen to House in 1986 as when i first heard Steve Silk Hurleys 'Love Can't turn around'was as fresh as hearing Planet Rock for the first time and loved the Electro synths in it even through i couldn't work out if the singer was a screaming bender lol,i was quite confused with this as well as being into Cameo and not knowing if they where Hip Hop/Gay/Perverts or just Blackadder fans WORD UP lol.
    We also liked getting the Upfront comps as they where a mix of Hip Hop/Soul and House but by 1989 everyone was into Gangster/Rap and MTV made it mainstream and House music became Rave and too many drugs so i got into Ragga/Reggae Hip Hop and Acid Jazz.

• Some good points Billy1971!
    I started 2 get into house in 86 aswell-my mate used 2 tape nights when local DJ Steve Foster done an under 16's night at Fifth Avenue & we listened 2 them in an Art room at school(noone else in the 5th year liked House,Hip Hop or Electro even then-the losers!). The DJ used 2 do a little mix of House-wish those tapes never mangled up.On one tape he introduced a track he first played in 85-'Jack Your Body'(that was my first track i heard).
    Anyone remember Daryl Pandy rolling around while he was singing on 'Top Of The Pops'? I never knew what 2 make of him or that geezer from Cameo either !!!
    Just remember first hearing the 'All In All(London Mix)on an Upfront album-i definately wore that tape out !!!
    I also liked the acid & detroit Techno,& even New Beat('House Inspector' anyone)4 those synth sounds. Funnily enough 2day i listened 2 'Acid Drill' !
    I never got in2 Acid Jazz,just read about it in 'Record Mirror'!
    I still liked the Rave stuff til up til 92(i never called it Hardcore Techno,as it wasn't Techno 2 me,or Hardcore),then as with Rap/Hip Hop just liked stuff from the past & started record collecting from scratch & trying 2 collect the old stuff again-as most music seemed stale around then.

• I defo know where your coming fro mate.
    It's funny but i got back into Dance music between 1993-1997 with all the (in my eyes) Electro influence of Sabres of Paradise(Uk Techno) as well the Trip Hop Bristol thing Massive Attack(hate them now),Dub as in Dreadzone,Ambient Future Sound Of London and Electro Breakbeat Depth Charge.

It's funny but apart from my mates/group no one else was into Dance music even after the awful Walk this Way Run DMC/Aeroshit but by mid 88 people where going on about Hip Hop and by 1989 it was Rave/Bleep and Drugs.Yes 1987 and maybebefore sepy 88 where the better years of dance music.

• I loved that 'Papa New Guinea' track FSOL done-what a bassline! It reminds me of a funny story in 91...
    ...i rang this pirate radio show 4 'Papa New Guinea' track & didn't know the name-they played an older one i don't know.Anyway i was yet 2 get my 1200's so i made the name up 'DJ MUFF'-u could tell they were laughing when giving the dedication !!!
    Wasn't 'Stakker Humanoid'-done by FSOL?
    I've still bought some bits on & off from 92 til now,off the top of my head:Chasing The Sun-PLANET FUNK,Future Of The Future-DEEP DISH,Touch Me-RUI DA SILVA. Just buy what i like the sound of! I take it u weren't a fan of 'Acid Drill' then? What about 'House Is Mine-HYPNOTIST'?
    This thread isn't much about Miami Bass is it!
    I'll PM u in future perhaps!!! Some good points made by u(billy1971)& Yoda tho!
    Nearly 4got,tho i liked Run DMC from 84(wish i'd had bought the picture disc of King Of Rock in 84)-i gave away my Walk This Way 12'',as got sick & tired hearing it by when the Nevins Remix came out!

• I think Miami Bass didn't take off big time because ther'e were only a small amount of releases, and you can only sample "Play at own risk and Planet Rock" so many times before it got boring

• Sample,or do u mean cover!
    James Brown wasn't sampled 2 death in Rap/Hip Hop then(Think-LYNNE COLLINS) !?! Rap has always covered from start-'Rappers Delight' 4 one example of 'Good Times'!
    U could say EGYPTIAN LOVER was heavily influenced with 'Planet Rock'-it's still gr8 2 me! Now scratchers using 'fresh' & 'cor' is overuse!

• Electro hip hop did not just turn into 'gangster' in 87', what are you guys on about? The whole east coast sound was straight up breaks based b-boy hip hop, what was gangster about Ultramagnetic, Superlover Cee and Casanova Rudd, Eric B & Rakim, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Captain G Whizz, Freddie B, Black Rock and Ron, Stezo, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Kaos, Ultimate Force and a LOT of other acts? Yeah you had NWA on the West Coast but hip hop just went back to a breakz based sound and still had hard 808's underpinning it. I was a full on bboy through out the 'electro' era of hip hop also however found breakbeat sampling hip hop a much better music to B Boy too.... I mean... BREAK BOY is what b-boy stood for, you guys seemed to have been 'E-Boys' (Electro boys), which is all well and good if that is your thing. I loved the electro period of hip hop however I love the breakbeat period of hip hop as well, it certainly WAS NOT ALL GANGSTER!! (...which I hated too).

ELECTROFUNK is a subsidiary of HIP HOP MUSIC AND CULTURE, don't you forget it suckaz...

• I got into Hip Hop in 84 properly when i used 2 take my Hitachi tape recorder(mono!)down Commercial Rd(end of Lake Rd)with a bag of tapes & batteries & played Crucial 1,Al Naafiysh & my brother was doing no handed windmills on a lino with his mates & me arguing with shoppers on right 2 play the music-if that makes me an E Boy,i don't mind. They stopped alot of shoppers with their snapping,popping,locking,breaking & robotics tho! But when i pinched these kids lino & tried backspinning all thru summer 85-am i still a E Boy? Proof of this was bald grass,when took lino away(aswell as headaches t
    ru windcheater & lino soaked in Mr Sheen!)!
    I got in2 Hip Hop after Electro-i can't help liking what came out first in England-Kraftwerk!
    I said 'commercially' it all went JB samples(all Funky Drummer)/Gangster as my area never really had a big scene til then.
    Didn't PE have guns & congregate in a group with cars on back of Ur Gonna Get Yours 12''-looks a bit gangster! If it was another 12''-i haven't owned that since about 88,so give me a break(scuse the pun!).I think it went Gangster slowly since NWA got interviewed on The Word-whenever that was,& Jeff Youngs Big Beat Show got replaced by Tim Westwood with all his put on voice,horns & gunshots.UK stuff in Rap was better longer as John Peel,etc played some groups i never heard b4 til 89-Hijack,Gunshot,Hardnoise,2 Tone Commitee,Silver Bullet-this was last groups i liked til going over 2 Rave fully(still liking Electro).
    I liked Miami Bass in 87 til early 90's but only really heard Dynamix II & Maggotron,but it seemed a small scene-like Hip House, which i also liked some of(Fast Eddie/Kool Rock Steady).

• I never really gelled with Miami Bass coz most of it was/is piss poor in all honesty. This is only my opinion so if you're big on Miami Bass........soz ;)
    Obviously the 2 Live Crew's first album is a stone cold classic (bar We Want Some Pussy which is atrocious - BOOTY rap is the pits, especially with electric geeeeetar). Their second album was quality too!
    I'm not tarring ALL Miami Bass with the same brush, that wouldn't be fair but on the whole it is crap. For example you got Sweet P & The Rockers, Magic Mike, Dynamix II, Gucci Crew II (first album), Prime Time, Double Duce to name but a few and they get super wack acts like that tit MC ADE who everyone used to go mental over for for some reason :ugly: What a complete load of old bollox!! Bass Cock Express :D
    Other garbage Miami Bass: Gigolo Tony, Sheryl & Donna, JDC, Peter Rock (yeah I know but it's atrocious & so over rated), JJ Fad, MC Twist & The Def Squad, MC Cool Rock, KJ & The Fella's (apart from Stop Look & Listen) Stacey Q, Anquette, Byron Davis (the majority), Fila Fresh Crew, M4-SERS.......many more!!!!!!

Postcode lottery........you're thick if you deny it exists

• Acid drill nah it's no bleed stuff lol and Hypnotist is not for me but i liked Tyree Acid Over with it's Vocoder and to me it's Acid/Electro old school House/Electro.

[ame]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/ame]

• Quote from AITCH-SKI;37558

I never really gelled with Miami Bass coz most of it was/is piss poor in all honesty. This is only my opinion so if you're big on Miami Bass........soz ;)
    Obviously the 2 Live Crew's first album is a stone cold classic (bar We Want Some Pussy which is atrocious - BOOTY rap is the pits, especially with electric geeeeetar). Their second album was quality too!
    I'm not tarring ALL Miami Bass with the same brush, that wouldn't be fair but on the whole it is crap. For example you got Sweet P & The Rockers, Magic Mike, Dynamix II, Gucci Crew II (first album), Prime Time, Double Duce to name but a few and they get super wack acts like that tit MC ADE who everyone used to go mental over for for some reason :ugly: What a complete load of old bollox!! Bass Cock Express :D
    Other garbage Miami Bass: Gigolo Tony, Sheryl & Donna, JDC, Peter Rock (yeah I know but it's atrocious & so over rated), JJ Fad, MC Twist & The Def Squad, MC Cool Rock, KJ & The Fella's (apart from Stop Look & Listen) Stacey Q, Anquette, Byron Davis (the majority), Fila Fresh Crew, M4-SERS.......many more!!!!!!

ADE bollox???

Dude still has the most unique vocoder I have ever heard twenty something years later....

• Tho i liked some Miami Bass from 88 to early 90's,i only liked what i knew of it which was a small preportion of the whole hip hop/electro genre anyway,just didn't like all this 'yo i live in an area where i get shot,etc'-what i say if u don't like ur area,pack up a bag & move somewhere else !!! ;D
    Small preportion i liked groupwise was only some Dynamix II,most of Maggotron & most of what '2 Live Crew' i knew-not much! Don't need 2 say soz Aitch,the genre wasn't exactly big,was it(like Hip House!)! So i probably only liked not 20% at most,as don't know most of groups u listed!
    I'll never like what shows Westwood done that i heard,but most of that is Radio 1. Also tho i don't really see the fuss about Mike Allen-never heard any originally,as never went 2 London 2 buy 12''s/got in car 2 listen around London/wherever either. Tho i understand they're both important 2 Hip Hop 2 most people(like most people hate Miami Bass).I don't just diss 2 wind everyone up,it's just my life in 80's/early 90's in a small city-being in a port my area still got a lot of vinyl imports tho!

Billy1971-what about 'Acid Thunder'-?

• Quote from kaos;37569

Totally agree with what Aitchski said.................. 99% of Miami Bass is arse.

Horses for courses ;) i would say its more like 50 % im a big fan of DXJ, Debonaire,Dynamix II,2 Live Crew ( there first 2 albums ) and DJ Magic Mikes early stuff.

• there is some good Miami bass and alot of shit, it was ok for a few years but got repetative, never liked booty bass or that car audio 15 minutes of hum crap.
    i think having to pay for samples put pay to the music to be honest which is why the likes of Maggotron changed there style.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!