Detroit techno /house classics

• Quote from AITCH-SKI;38585

"Within the last 5 years or so, the Detroit underground has been experimenting with technology, stretching it rather than simply using it. As the price of sequencers and synthesizers has dropped, so the experimentation has become more intense. Basically, we're tired of hearing about being in love or falling out, tired of the R&B system, so a new progressive sound has emerged. We call it techno!"

Juan Atkins, 1988

Precisely. The key phrase there is "Within the last 5 years or so" which means he's talking about as far back as '83. ;) I think he even coined the term 'techno' to describe the music of Cybertron.

a new progressive sound has emerged. We call it techno!"

Juan Atkins, 1988

Sure he'd been playing his synths & drum machines etc from 1983 but read again what he actually said. He recognised it as a "new" style in 1988 ;) It was he who "coined" the phrase techno in 1988....it's there in black & white. Infact he released that amazing track Techno Music as a dedication to it.
    In all honesty the first time I'd heard the term "techno" used, it was from Kraftwerk's album Electric Cafe in 1986 but the track Techno Pop is far from being techno.

I have NEVER considered Cybotron a techno band - they were a band that Juan Atkins was in that played absolute atrocious synth pop bollox. The only decent track Cybotron ever released was the remix of Clear which was done by Jose Diaz.

Postcode lottery........you're thick if you deny it exists

• Man Parrish had a record out called 'Techno Tracks' in 1982.

And Model 500's (Juan Atkins) 'No UFOs' from '85 had a 4x4 beat and certainly sounds like a natural predecessor to techno. And that was before the early house classics.

House descended from disco, and although techno shares the 4x4 beat of disco, it owes more in sound and vibe to electro and European electronic music.

There is no way that techno evolved from house. They evolved concurrently and of course, shared ideas.

• Quote from beagle;38591

Man Parrish had a record out called 'Techno Tracks' in 1982.

And Model 500's (Juan Atkins) 'No UFOs' from '85 had a 4x4 beat and certainly sounds like a natural predecessor to techno. And that was before the early house classics.

House descended from disco, and although techno shares the 4x4 beat of disco, it owes more in sound and vibe to electro and European electronic music.

There is no way that techno evolved from house. They evolved concurrently and of course, shared ideas.

House descended from disco
    Yes, we know

and although techno shares the 4x4 beat of disco
    again, yes we know

it owes more in sound and vibe to electro and European electronic music.
    I'd actually have to agree with that

There is no way that techno evolved from house. They evolved concurrently and of course, shared ideas
    Yeah, go on then ;D

Man Parrish had a record out called 'Techno Tracks' in 1982.
    Of course he did, my bad ;D Forgot about that one

Yes I have the record and know the year Brad (1985 Metroplex).
    So Brad, in your infinite wisdom, what was Juan Atkins talking about when he referred to that statement from 1988 with regards techno music? The only thing I can think of he was gonna stop using that outdated bass synth for example that he used to use with Cybotron & Model 500 & create a fresh new more technolgical appealing sound. Experimenting more with vocoders & new synths.

• Quote from billy1971;38614

Wasn't the Electro heads in California calling there sound Techno in 1986.

yep. That was why there was a label called 'Techno Hop records'. (Unknown DJ's I think).

They were using the term in the mid-80's in Germany too.

In fact, the story that Juan Atkins coined the term 'techno' to describe a style of music sounds a bit innaccurate doesn't it? :)

• Quote from beagle;38616

yep. That was why there was a label called 'Techno Hop records'. (Unknown DJ's I think).

In fact, the story that Juan Atkins coined the term 'techno' to describe a style of music sounds a bit innaccurate doesn't it? :)

Techno Hop sure was a great name that churned out 90% shite. It's just a name they came up with no doubt coz they thought it sounded all "techno"logical & futuristic.

Wow, amazement!!!! Man Parrish used it in 1982, Kraftwerk probably used it before all of 'em. - so what? The fact remains Juan Atkins called the music that we know as "techno" in 1988 - end of! Get over it :D
    I cut & pasted a statement from what he said & you still won't have it ;D

Juan Atkins info

According to a recent bio on MySpace, Atkins coined the term techno ( ;) :* ), to describe his music, taking as one inspiration the works of Futurist and author Alvin Toffler, from whom he borrowed the terms 'cybotron' and 'metroplex.' Atkins has used the term to describe earlier bands that made heavy use of synthesizers, such as Kraftwerk, although many people would consider Kraftwerk's music and Juan's early music in Cybotron as electro.

And (again) for the benefit of Beagle the "inaccurate" statement that Juan Atkins said in 1988 that he chooses to dismiss for some bizarre reason ;D

Within the last 5 years or so, the Detroit underground has been experimenting with technology, stretching it rather than simply using it. As the price of sequencers and synthesizers has dropped, so the experimentation has become more intense. Basically, we're tired of hearing about being in love or falling out, tired of the R&B system, so a new progressive sound has emerged. We call it techno!

Don't shoot the messenger - Juan said it, not me :* :ugly:

• Aitch, read it again:

"Within the last 5 years or so, the Detroit underground has been experimenting with technology...... We call it techno!"

That quote is from '88. It DOESN'T mean that he only started calling it techno in'88.

And it certainly doesn't mean that techno evolved from house!

• Quote from beagle;38627

Aitch, read it again:

"Within the last 5 years or so, the Detroit underground has been experimenting with technology...... We call it techno!"

That quote is from '88. It DOESN'T mean that he only started calling it techno in'88.

And it certainly doesn't mean that techno evolved from house!

Juan Atkins info
    According to a recent bio on MySpace, Atkins coined the term techno

Well no surprises there, no reference to this by you ;D You basically accused me of lying about what he said & you don't say anything about this statement?

Ah right - you know this for a fact do you Brad? A CLASSIC speculative reply from EE's very own Doubting Thomas who yet again, even fails to accept cut & pasted literature from the artist himself ;D ;D ;D

And it certainly doesn't mean that techno evolved from house
    Alongside as previously mentioned - I can go for that.

• Quote from AITCH-SKI;38629<br>[B

And it certainly doesn't mean that techno evolved from house[/B]
    Alongside as previously mentioned - I can go for that.

Then I think we've reached the natural conclusion of this discussion! ;D

• 'No UFOs' is undoubtably techno. Just because Juan hadn't started using the term to describe that sound in 85 doesn't mean anything like it previous to 88 isn't techno IMO.

And Techno definately evolved from House, the detroit boys will tell you that. All genres have multiple influences - its never as simple as 'techno comes from euro sounds', 'house comes from disco' because multiple individuals and groups developed those genres and these people all had multiple musical influences (jazz,techno,funk,pop,new wave etc) Thank god for that otherwise the music would have been very boring...

My beat goes BOOM

• Quote from beagle;38632

Then I think we've reached the natural conclusion of this discussion! ;D

In your selective conclusion why did you fail to acknowledge these?

Quote from AITCH-SKI;38629

Juan Atkins info
    According to a recent bio on MySpace, Atkins coined the term techno

Well no surprises there, no reference to this by you ;D You basically accused me of lying about what he said & you don't say anything about this statement?

Ah right - you know this for a fact do you Brad? A CLASSIC speculative reply from EE's very own Doubting Thomas who yet again, even fails to accept cut & pasted literature from the artist himself ;D ;D ;D

It is your conclusion - not mine

• Quote from ChristianRock;38646

'No UFOs' is undoubtably techno. Just because Juan hadn't started using the term to describe that sound in 85 doesn't mean anything like it previous to 88 isn't techno IMO.

And Techno definately evolved from House, the detroit boys will tell you that. All genres have multiple influences - its never as simple as 'techno comes from euro sounds', 'house comes from disco' because multiple individuals and groups developed those genres and these people all had multiple musical influences (jazz,techno,funk,pop,new wave etc) Thank god for that otherwise the music would have been very boring...

And Techno definately evolved from House, the detroit boys will tell you that

OVER TO YOU BEAGLE - ;D ;D ;D

• [QUOTE=AITCH-SKI;38625]Techno Hop sure was a great name that churned out 90% shite. It's just a name they came up with no doubt coz they thought it sounded all "techno"logical & futuristic.

Yeah but Techno Kuts was the real deal but sadly it started to late.

• Quote from AITCH-SKI;38650

In your selective conclusion why did you fail to acknowledge these?

It is your conclusion - not mine

because that quote could be taken to mean one of two things - I'm open minded, but you've made up your mind. AND, it's not really relevant to the discussion of whether or not techno evolved from house.

Quote from ChristianRock;38646

'No UFOs' is undoubtably techno. Just because Juan hadn't started using the term to describe that sound in 85 doesn't mean anything like it previous to 88 isn't techno IMO.

And Techno definately evolved from House, the detroit boys will tell you that.

Isnt that a contradiction? I agree that 'No UFOs' is techno, or at least a predecessor. Which is why I'm saying that techno evolved concurrently to house. 'No UFOs' was a 1985 record - so how did this 'evolve from house'?

All genres have multiple influences - its never as simple as 'techno comes from euro sounds', 'house comes from disco' because multiple individuals and groups developed those genres and these people all had multiple musical influences

You're absolutely right. techno and house share common ancestors and influences. I disagree that one was born of the other. 'No UFOs' (sorry to keep using this example, but it fits the bill perfectly!) is proof of this isn't it?

• Totaly agree with ya beagle, I just worded what I was trying to say incorrectly. What I perhaps should have said is "Its undeniable house was a strong influence on the evolution of Techno"...

My beat goes BOOM

• Quote from beagle;38670

because that quote could be taken to mean one of two things - I'm open minded, but you've made up your mind. AND, it's not really relevant to the discussion of whether or not techno evolved from house.

Everything I have said has been relevant. You choose to answer certain parts whilst ignoring others.
    Try to acknowledge EVERYTHING I have shown you for starters & relevance becomes significantly apparent. You just chose not to in order to suit your own means Brad ;D

;)

• Quote from ChristianRock;38682

Totaly agree with ya beagle, I just worded what I was trying to say incorrectly. What I perhaps should have said is "Its undeniable house was a strong influence on the evolution of Techno"...

Buy that man a drink ;D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!