Yes Or No - Street sounds Electro Chart

• Quote from Mixmaster_Mirage;45518

I thought that was all you had to say? ;D

Yeah it was all I had to say about the topic when it started but not to these other squabbles.

• Quote from Jimmy Smithson;45515

Ghosttechnology & Binalog

You two were the ones who actually had ago at Morgan 1st, changing the perspective of this topic. There was no need to bring your arrogance in this topic towards yours & Morgan business relations into a topic that was only started about how the chart is finalized.

"Just one A&R suggestion, stop putting out these terrible compilations of demo quality tracks. Have some threshold of quality. A 6 minute track of the same 16 bar loop is not good music, it is NOT even music!"

Exactly who started to change the perspective of this topic, Jimmy?! ;)
    And, tell me honestly please, why do we have to treat him like a... 'sacred cow' or something, when this man disses everyone who doesn't support his releases or simply disagrees with him?
    Personally i didn't refer to any private stuff; Ivan did and Morgan followed. But Ivan already posted an apology here...

• hmmmm well I'm sure glad this topic wasnt raised when I was doing it lol ;D

Perhaps I could bring this topic back on track by just saying that when I was hosting the chart on my show, I was also compiling the chart with MK every week and it was NEVER based on any other charts at the time. It was soley mine and MK's opinions & on our own ears each week, that's a FACT. Maybe todays chart is compiled differently, who knows? but I sincerely doubt it looking at the charts over the last few months and the enormous bias being shown to NE3 tracks :ugly:

• Quote from evolvah;45654

hmmmm well I'm sure glad this topic wasnt raised when I was doing it lol ;D

Perhaps I could bring this topic back on track by just saying that when I was hosting the chart on my show, I was also compiling the chart with MK every week and it was NEVER based on any other charts at the time. It was soley mine and MK's opinions & on our own ears each week, that's a FACT. Maybe todays chart is compiled differently, who knows? but I sincerely doubt it looking at the charts over the last few months and the enormous bias being shown to NE3 tracks :ugly:

You mean my #1 for "Programmed" was a sham???!!! I'm crushed!!! ;D

Morgan must have really twisted your arm then 'cause I know how much you hated it! :D

• Quote from Cozmo D;45656

You mean my #1 for "Programmed" was a sham???!!! I'm crushed!!! ;D

Morgan must have really twisted your arm then 'cause I know how much you hated it! :D

aww sorry Coz ;D

Although just to clarify I never hated that track..in fact it was featured on my fav tracks of 2009 show.. it was the first demo of it I heard thru MK that wasnt doing it for me (as you know lol) I admit that but then you came back with a far superior version 8)

• I have just been emailed by someone who used to contribute to the chart, letting me know about this latest post. I'm sorry but I can’t keep quiet while untruths are being spread about myself and Street Sounds.

Hi Martin, what a shame that after a long period of not speaking that this is the way that we should start again. Actually if you remember correctly Martin, Kate and I used to tell you exactly how many votes we’d had for each track, along with your votes.

What you have said is incorrect as at that particular time you know that I used to read you Matthias’ chart, Bass Junkie’s chart, Tim Raidl’s chart just to name a few along with whichever fans had voted that week. It was also based on tracks you and Tim had played which were the 2 biggest Electro shows at that point. You and I would then look at Juno to view both their ‘Bestseller’ and ‘DJ’ charts for sales etc and see the feedback on different tracks on forums etc. At that time it was early days and Juno was our only gauge of sales of Electro tunes but as you point out, our method of compiling has improved since then, but still based as we’d said on sales, radio airplay and charts submitted. I see you so conveniently forget this.

I have sent a typical example of one week at the time you were hosting the chart showing the different ‘dons’ charts, your chart and the final chart to Coz who I trust to keep confidential and this will prove that what you have just said is completely untrue. I am sure he will confirm that it was not as you put it “soley mine and MK's opinions & on our own ears each week, that's a FACT”.

Ghost Of Technology, Binalog, Martin, I think everyone gets it that you don’t like either me or Street Sounds. Now that’s been cleared up, let’s get back to how we make the Street Sounds Electro Chart even better. You don’t seem to realise that I too want to improve the chart so let’s focus on achieving this in a positive and constructive manner.

• Quote from morgan;45661

I have just been emailed by someone who used to contribute to the chart, letting me know about this latest post. I'm sorry but I can’t keep quiet while untruths are being spread about myself and Street Sounds.

Hi Martin, what a shame that after a long period of not speaking that this is the way that we should start again. Actually if you remember correctly Martin, Kate and I used to tell you exactly how many votes we’d had for each track, along with your votes.

What you have said is incorrect as at that particular time you know that I used to read you Matthias’ chart, Bass Junkie’s chart, Tim Raidl’s chart just to name a few along with whichever fans had voted that week. It was also based on tracks you and Tim had played which were the 2 biggest Electro shows at that point. You and I would then look at Juno to view both their ‘Bestseller’ and ‘DJ’ charts for sales etc and see the feedback on different tracks on forums etc. At that time it was early days and Juno was our only gauge of sales of Electro tunes but as you point out, our method of compiling has improved since then, but still based as we’d said on sales, radio airplay and charts submitted. I see you so conveniently forget this.

I have sent a typical example of one week at the time you were hosting the chart showing the different ‘dons’ charts, your chart and the final chart to Coz who I trust to keep confidential and this will prove that what you have just said is completely untrue. I am sure he will confirm that it was not as you put it “soley mine and MK's opinions & on our own ears each week, that's a FACT”.

Ghost Of Technology, Binalog, Martin, I think everyone gets it that you don’t like either me or Street Sounds. Now that’s been cleared up, let’s get back to how we make the Street Sounds Electro Chart even better. You don’t seem to realise that I too want to improve the chart so let’s focus on achieving this in a positive and constructive manner.

You must be kidding! like we ever took any notice of them charts? you always did have a selective memory and as for deck generals chart hahahahahaha!! so who did the charts when you and kate were in miami I wonder?? I've nothing more to say to you, I was just stating a FACT! and I have plenty of emails to prove these things pal.

• As far as i am concerned, charts, awards, anything that is one entity acting as an authority of who is "best" is unnecessary and bound to be biased and at some point corrupt. The only thing that truly counts as to who is doing a good job in releasing music is the sales and the inevitable word of mouth success that propels an artist to a good place in the scene.

The idea of someone being #1, or #2 is simply ridiculous! :-/ your number 1, could be someone else's number 11...i generally hate the idea of competition, which is why i hate sports. It is an ignorant side to humanity, and a reason why we have the issues that we have in the world...because someone is always trying to get ahead of the next man, and someone is always trying to place themselves at the top as ruler of something...cant we just all get along and be equal? we are all human, all are great at something, and all suck at many things.

I am by far not the best producer, and would find it bothersome to ever be named #1...everyone to me that is talented is amazing in their own way, yet i can pick flaws in anyones work. That is because no one is perfect and no one ever will be...this i think, is where contentment lies, in knowing we are flawed yet great at something that makes us unique, and just simply letting it be as so.

The only thing that would seem somewhat ok for me as far as a charting system goes, is a system like Matthias mentioned, that would be based on electronic polling, and completely free of opinion from any one specific source. This would at least reflect the complete general opinion of the scene and if done right, would show that whatever is reflected is only reflected by a percentage of the community... :)

• Now thats the spirit, i think we are going somewhere now... :)

I love you all too...and i really sincerely mean that, your music keeps me alive and inspired, and even the drama is just a token of fun every time it comes around! it also makes us work stuff out and air out dirty laundry, so all good.

:cylon:

• Not really knowing what sources are used to compile a weekly chart this suggestion could be off track (pardon the pun). I think the only way to compile a true weekly chart is to have lots of sources for data input. This could also be construed as being bias, as the most popular sites will have their top sales that week as #1. Now, in the context of this topic the track at #1 from sales might not be "The true electro scene" but something commercial that the die hards dislike.

Over the past 25 years I have seen a lot of charts that I totally disagree with, but they all have two things in common... The first is that they create a talking point for you to discuss with your friends, and the second thing is that a track is in the chart which you didn't know was released. And as with a few others reading this we all rushed out to order it or check the record shop to see if they had it in.

Any chart using submitted votes is also open to manipulation. As was stated in a previous comment if you are friends with certain artists / labels etc then you will get your friends to submit a vote (even if they haven't heard the track) they send it because it's a friend thing. THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANY ONE PERSON I am merely stating the human condition of you scratch my back...

I've been buying the Streetsounds albums since 1985 and the Nu School thing is hit n miss for me. I'm pleased that these albums are being made, and covering all aspects of electro. I wouldn't class the Capt. Rock track or Just-Ice as Electro in any stretch of the word but I will continue to buy these releases.

Now, the issue of being bias... It would be rather naive to say that there wasn't some kind of self promotion involved, however the chart is probably voted for by streetsounds followers so it is down to what they have heard (which was mentioned earlier). With that being said I think the chart is a good thing, maybe not indicative of the scene (whatever that is) I mean who says what is the scene and what isn't?

• Dirty laundry time, eh...

Ivan (Ghost) has removed the privat emails now. The off topic posts are by now hard to seperate from the ones on topic, so i'll leave it like that for now.

Quote from morgan;45560

I also used to receive a weekly chart from Matthias. I believed that Matthias’ chart was important as he runs Electro Empire and I had hoped would be unbiased towards chart entries. Unfortunately, he stopped sending in his chart when I emailed him one time saying that his chart only had releases on his own label and no other tracks at all from any other label. This I felt was wrong. From that day he has not emailed any charts to us. What absolute hypocrisy commenting on a fair and unbiased chart Matthias!

Hello Morgan,
    I compiled and sent my PERSONAL top 20 lists to you every week for well over a year. Around the time that we had a various artists triple album released, i OF COURSE included tracks from that release. Excuse me, but for some reason, some of the music we release really fits my PERSONAL taste. BUT, my charts NEVER only consisted of music released on our labels. That's just another lie.

My enthusiasm to create a new chart week after week faded the more it got obvious how much this chart is not representing the Electro scene and probably gets fixed in favour of your label whenever possible. Having YOU at that point telling me something about integrity and being accurate regarding my PERSONAL chart was a bad joke and simply too much.

Quote from morgan;45560

I will not comment or voice my opinion on some of the other Electro compilations available to buy, but I feel that the Street Sounds Nu Electro series reflects the ‘best of’ Electro as the original Electro albums did back in the day. In the 80’s we regularly had the top 10 records in Mike Allen’s chart on Electro albums. Were the charts then manipulated? Hell no! We just put tracks on the album people wanted and this is still our ethos today. We compile the Nu Electro albums to reflect the best tracks across all of the Electro sub-genres and it is for this reason why we have a huge following and support. People trust our integrity and the Street Sounds name. When compiling Nu Electro vol.3 we wanted to put together an album that would sell more than 7 downloads!! This may sound like I am being flippant but I have had this conversation so many times with talented Electro artists and producers who are frustrated that their music is not heard, enjoyed, and bought by more people. I am so proud that each and every track on vol.3 is a tremendous tune. To make the final selection of 19 tracks we had to select from hundreds of submissions. This was very difficult, but also tells me that the Electro community is healthy and growing. There are so many creative musicians out there that need to have exposure. The Street Sounds Nu Electro series is looked at as the market leader. The artists, producers and labels who have submitted tracks to us know this and are aware that the Street Sounds brand stands always and only for the best. They want to be part of a growing scene and growing market and this is healthy for all of us. What should excite all of us is that a different audience is now being attracted and appreciating Electro and maybe they will also buy other Electro tracks! Just one A&R suggestion, stop putting out these terrible compilations of demo quality tracks. Have some threshold of quality. A 6 minute track of the same 16 bar loop is not good music, it is NOT even music!

Totally unasked outburst of arrogance. Far from professional, Morgan.

• This is one of the things that i think Morgan needs to understand...this idea that Streetsounds somehow represents the "Best" of Electro Funk and Electro/Techno Bass material being released. I will agree that SS releases very good tracks yes, and that they compile them from releases that are well accepted, or include collaborations that are a good match. However, only 20 tracks are picked BY MORGAN and the SS team, which means that the idea of who is "best", again, is only a matter of biased opinion.

I think Streetsounds has a place in the scene, but i think it should stop trying to place itself at the top of things, trying to claim that it releases the best of, or that its charts represents the scene in a way that truly reflects what people are into...i just think its wrong that after years and years of not being around, and all of us putting our blood, sweat and tears into this to keep it alive, someone comes in and tries to pick up where they left off and claim that they represent the best of the best...who is the BEST? your best could be my worse...like Captain Rock, not a piece of garbage by any means, but definately not the #1 Electro track out right now...not by a long shot.

I also do not like that Detroit is not represented very much on SS, and in the words of Morgan himself to a pioneer of Detroit Electro who is a friend near and dear to our hearts: "Detroit Electro just isnt that good!"

It really surprises how hard it is to make people see that Detroit is the ONLY reason that Electro survived after dying off in the late 80s...the only other group was Dynamix II, and they technically had become very involved in the Miami Bass scene, and not necessarily trying to keep Electro going.

The vision of Detroit artists to fuse Electro beats with what were becoming the more popular styles of Electronic music, like Techno and Trance, was brilliant, and allowed our sound to continue on to the 2000s where everyone could come back together and put their own vision into it. Could anyone disagree that Drexciya, Underground Resistance, Aux 88, and many others were responsible for saving Electro? for evolving past Electro Funk ( slower ), into a more appealing, modern, faster sound that could become more than just that 80s sound?

• Quote from morgan;45661

Quote from evolvah;45663

You must be kidding! like we ever took any notice of them charts? you always did have a selective memory and as for deck generals chart hahahahahaha!! so who did the charts when you and kate were in miami I wonder?? I've nothing more to say to you, I was just stating a FACT! and I have plenty of emails to prove these things pal.

Martin, I have looked over the charts submitted for the week of April 4th, 2009 given to me by Morgan and it is obvious, at least for that week, that all of the charts (including yours) were taken into consideration. Yes, even Tim's. It's funny that all this time later that you are still holding onto that ridiculous feud that you had going with Tim, it was silly then and it's silly now. For a scene that supposedly isn't even a scene the amount of drama that spouts up in the Electro community is hilarious! Regardless, I was in close contact with Morgan at that time and know that he did indeed rely on input from Tim just as he did from you, and Tim's show was popular much to your chagrin.

I would also like to point out what you are saying about yourself. You are claiming that you manipulated a chart that you said to us each and every week was based on submitted charts, sales and play in clubs and shows. Something that Morgan denies (and at least for one week has proof of it not being true) yet you trumpet as an accolade. Well, for now, outside of that one week it is your word against his. Except that we now KNOW that at least for one week while Morgan and Kate were in Miami you DID manipulate the chart yourself by your own words. What does that say about YOUR integrity, especially when most of us who were tuning in to hear the chart were taking YOU at YOUR word? I dare say that no one should think of any chart hosted by you in the future as trustworthy, as it is obvious that you would have no problem with manipulating it.

Frankly, seeing how long you have held onto your silly (one way) feud with Tim, and knowing that you also hold hard feelings towards Morgan, I would not at all be surprised if you are here attempting to assassinate his character (even at the expense of your own) in order to garner some small sense of petty satisfaction.

I think that Lee can put this issue to bed, as if Morgan got together with you to manipulate the chart, surely he does the same with Leeroy. Lee?

• Quote from elektroakust.;45690

My enthusiasm to create a new chart week after week faded the more it got obvious how much this chart is not representing the Electro scene and probably gets fixed in favour of your label whenever possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this all started just over 1 month ago when NUE3 dropped, and my track, Richie's and Capt. Rock's hit the chart, right? Now, I am totally shocked that my track is well received here, as I wasn't even sure it would be accepted as Electro, but it is. I think that there can be no denying that Richie's track is Electro and a BANGER! So, this is all about Captain Rock, right?

Up until then, was anybody questioning the chart? There were no SS releases on it, and looking in Leeroy's thread I see a LOT of the community here represented consistently. And, I have no way of knowing this, but I am willing to bet that basically NOBODY who is complaining ever votes! So, considering that the huge majority from the pool of voters are Street Sounds fans, why is anybody at all surprised that Street Sounds releases hit the charts? And why is anybody at all surprised that the track that was promoted the most by Morgan would do the best amongst them? BTW, I happen to think that the Capt. Rock track is good, and so does Leeroy. But I don't vote.

If you want evidence that the chart is not manipulated, just look at the progress of my track and Richie's. Mine was promoted second most by Morgan, and hit the chart 2nd highest of the SS tracks. Not sure how much Richie's was promoted, but I think that it hit the chart just out of sheer dopeness. Now, if Morgan was manipulating the chart then mine should rise right after Rock's, but Richie caught up and PASSED me! Does anybody here question whether that should have happened? I don't!

Now, let's talk about a track that I hate, and I'm sure that most of you join me in that hatred, KRS and Just Ice. Again, being that this chart is mostly driven by SS voters, why is anybody shocked that it hit the chart? I am willing to bet that the compilation has garnered many sales just for that track alone, solely because of their names! Let's forget how horrid a track it is. I know the guy who digitally distributes the original version and he LOVES this remix! I'm sure that he is not alone, and I'm sure that some of those people are voting.

Anyway, I think that peeps are wrong for accusing Morgan of manipulating the chart, simply because his records are well represented. The evidence points to the chart having a somewhat faulty compilation system, not being manipulated. And the quick fix would be if you all voted.

• Quote from morgan;45478

The Chart is a conduit and central focus point for all that is happening in the Electro community and so many artists have emailed me saying that they are working so hard to one day fulfil their dream of featuring on the chart.

Morgan.

Ha, classic! Everyone i know who produces electro is hoping that one day they will feature in the SS chart, not.

Deluded!

• Quote from elektroakust.;45690

I compiled and sent my PERSONAL top 20 lists to you every week for well over a year. Around the time that we had a various artists triple album released, i OF COURSE included tracks from that release. Excuse me, but for some reason, some of the music we release really fits my PERSONAL taste. BUT, my charts NEVER only consisted of music released on our labels. Thats just another lie.

Hi Matthias,

May I have permission to post your final chart? The point I was trying to make is that you are saying that you are championing for a fair and unbiased chart and give the appearance of being impartial, yet you used your chart to promote releases on your label. I had depended on your chart to represent the Electro community as a whole due to your involvement with Electro Empire.

I admit that saying ‘no other tracks at all from any other label’ was slightly exaggerated and I apologise for this but let me summarise the extent of your last chart submission. IN YOUR TOP 10 THERE ARE 10 ‘GS3’ TRACKS! From number 11 to 20 there are a further 6 ‘GS3’ tracks. So we have 16 tracks on your label in your Top 20! Just to let you know we use a points system so the Top 10 of any individual chart is most important.

This is why I wrote you an email saying that your chart had ‘only had your labels releases’ on it, I didn't expect you to cease communications after that? I'm sorry but your personal chart just proves that we all need to work together to improve the way the chart is compiled.

…On another subject, when I say the ‘best of the best’ feature in the Nu Electro Series, I’m not saying it’s just Street Sounds artists, it’s what I ‘personally’ feel is the best in the Electro scene at a certain moment and this actually includes tracks from numerous different Electro Labels. I think we’ve gathered by now that everyone has their own opinion of what they feel is best (what a boring world it would be if we all liked exactly the same things) and we could go back and forth forever so let’s just focus on making the scene united.

• What an enlightening thread. 8)

I'm going to join in with the unprofessionalism now and voice my humble opinion (such that it is)... well, because I really dont give a fuck (call it an album review by a not interested party):

Considering the Nu Electro Vol 3 is anything but Nu Electro, it has Hip Hip, R&B, Old School Electro (nostalgic bullshit), Chill Out, Planet Rock sampling trash and Bassjunkie/IBM wannabes all over it, the Street Sounds Chart can hardly be regarded as "Relevant". Furthermore, considering the profile Streets Sounds has outside of the "scene" it could potentially be damaging to said scene as its not representative of the full spectrum of Electro as it sounds in 2010.

NU ELECTRO VOL.3 IS PURE SHITE... A BIGGER, BETTER, JOKE! THAN DAWN FRENCH

However Electro is dead, so get over it... no one cares. :o

• Electro is far from dead dave and you know that...instead of being bitter, why not start putting out your great material again? I feel that Electro went through a very scary time when the likes of volsoc and sibegg ruled the scene, but now it seems there is a lot of really soulful and complex material ( like blastromen ) that is really beginning to set things off in a good direction...

We are just getting started here as far as i am concerned, and i dont really think it has anything to do with things having a flavor of R&B, Hip Hop, or anything like that because thats where it all started back in the day and is just as legitimate as Jazz or any other classic style. Even Techno came from Hip Hop and anyone in Detroit would tell you that, so... :-/

My main concern is anyone trying to be an authority as to who is best and who is not...that is no one's place but the people's, and can only be accomplished by a transparent system that allows people to vote for who they like.

Has anyone tried Survey Monkey? http://www.surveymonkey.com/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!