Street Sounds / UK Fresh Reunion / 16th July 2011

• In response to a couple of people on the thread that are interested in an opinion from somebody who was actually there...

Let me start by saying I am not into new electro and I'm very much into the Hip Hop side of things. So to be honest I wasn't interested in the first act, can't remember the guy's name, not knocking him just not my thing. Personally I don't think new electro was the way to go at this event, it was a celebration/reunion of the original event so from what I could tell the majority of the crowd were of an old school nature like myself and thats what we wanted to hear.

I thought the event was well organised, didn't wait too long to get in, the venue was a good size and layout, and ideal for this type of event. The beer prices were high but it's London so what do you expect. I think the acts were running a little late but nothing major, although the acts did appear to be complaining about the volume levels and feedback noise etc, but again nothing too serious as far as I could tell. We were all given a free UK Fresh mix CD and sticker on entry as well, a nice touch.

I'm not sure what the actual attendance numbers were but it seemed reasonably full to me and there was a good vibe in there.

I enjoyed all the old school acts that appeared. One thing I would say is that Arthur Baker was a strange choice for a live act, he is a legend no doubt, but he is a DJ/producer so is not a performer. I really enjoyed the music he played, his set was really good, but as a performance it was not entertaining, he was just stood there pressing buttons for an hour, would you stand and watch a DJ in a club for an hour, no!! I must say that this is not his fault, this is down to the promoter, Baker would have been better off DJing in another room, not being plonked on the main stage. As far as I'm concerned the main stage should be for performers.

I'm an old school head so I will always go and see any old school artists whenever they visit the UK, how often do you get a chance to see the likes of the B Boys, Captain Rock and Newcleus. I'm not sure some people appreciate what was being offered here, a chance to see Captain Rock, that was a dream come true for me, I never thought I would get the chance to see him perform, and I enjoyed every minute of it. The only thing I would say is that his set could have been a bit longer, maybe a full version of 'Future Shock' and he could also have dropped 'Bongo Beats' and 'You Stink'. I have seen Newcleus and the B Boys perform before but was very happy to see them again. Chuck Chill Out did seem to be struggling on stage though, he was obviously using sofware instead of straight up turntables, why? Why not throw the 20 or so records you are going to use in a bag and bring them with you, then show us your skills on the turntables old school style?

The highlight of the night for me was 'The return of Capt Rock', this was just quality with the whole crowd singing along, brilliant. 'Jam on it' was also a highlight and a great way to end the night with the whole crowd rocking to what is an all time classic. 'Stick up kid' was also a fave especially with the extra chrous the Donald D added.

This was never going to match up to UK Fresh 86, to think that it would is just crazy. I do think there could have been a couple more acts, the obvious one being Egyptian Lover, Whodini would have also been a good bet and I would have loved to have seen MC Chill. I suppose you have to be realistic though, this type of event is only ever going to attract a limited crowd, so there is a balancing act between ticket prices and the number of acts that
    need to be paid to come over from the US.

So no complaints from me as I had a good night from a punters point of view. I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the contracts etc, does not sound good. Also with Hec and the Global Funk boys, sounds like they were let down with those passes.

Would I go again, yes I would.

• It's clear what should happen.

MK just call his scene what it is. OLD SCHOOL ELECTRO. Period.

Moderated.

It's crystal clear.

And this notion that New Electro did not have shit going on before he fell out of his 20 year sleep and attempted to come back into the scene. Moderated

Anyone that supports that notion is fucking blind. I just have to laugh and bite my tongue most the time and will just leave it at that.

Moderated. Leave us little unprofessional 16 bar loop new school producers that dont know how to run business to run our little shit scene (As in his direct words to me last time we spoke) :)

Oh by the way between me and you who has the contract and who doesn't? LOL. I saw you coming a mile away my friend. You thought I was a new jack. Didn't do you research I guess.

Moderated.

Oh and please change the name of the comp to "Old Electro"......

And for everyone else thats sick of this bullshit direction and poisoning of our scene.

In the words of No Disco "Leave the old and bring the new".......

http://www.electro-digital.com/

• Quote from LektroiD;54818

I would have liked to discuss that with khan, but when he wasn't yelling rants down the phone at me over something that was none of my business, he was ignoring all contact, making it impossible to negotiate anything. Next thing I was off the bill...

First of all, I would never have said any of this in an open forum on the internet but since you have put your business out there I will respond.

Richie, you had a featured artist on YOUR track, so it is YOUR responsibility to make sure he is sorted. That is just the way it is man. If a contractor has someone working with him it is the contractor's responsibility to pay the worker, not the purchaser. That is in ANY business!!!

The ONLY reason you were on the bill was because Morgan wanted to hire us an extra keyboard player and I recommended you. He thought it was a brilliant idea because then you could also perform. I thus felt a sense of responsibility towards you. When you complained to me that Morgan was giving you fukked up travel accommodations I immediately went after him with both guns blazing to get that sorted. THAT WAS IN JUNE! You never mentioned a thing about Xidus. When I tracked down Morgan he told me that your travel had been agreed to just as you requested, and I immediately got on Facebook and PMed you a request that we do a 3 way on SKYPE to make sure things were sorted. THAT WAS ON JUNE 9TH! YOU NEVER GOT BACK TO ME!!! I was on the other line a day later when Morgan reached you by phone and you confirmed that your travel deals were sorted and you were fine with them. I then figured that perhaps you were just giving me drama when you said that they weren't. Regardless, I know that you must have seen me online at Facebook COUNTLESS times yet you NEVER responded to my June 9th PM.

If you had contacted me I would have told you that you needed to sort out Xidus, that IS your role! It also showed me that Morgan wasn't as hard for you to contact as you claim, because everything was fine in your conversation on June 10th or 11th. What further really bothers me is that once Xidus was talking directly to Morgan per your request you told Morgan to tell him that you weren't getting paid. That's fukked up man. Xidus is the one who announced that you weren't performing on Facebook first.

Look, Richie, I consider you a friend and you know how much I admire your skills and your music, but the bottom line is that you did not deal with this well and though you had me offering to work personally on your behalf with Morgan you never responded to me at all, which is a shame.

• Quote from The Riddler;54829

16. Merchandising - The DJ is NOT allowed to offer for sale any products whatsoever inside the venue without the prior written permission of the PURCHASER.

Maybe a letter would of been sent giving written permmission in time for the event
    (yeah right) :uglylol:

We had CDs for sale on the night right at the concession stand. Haven't tallied yet but looks like I sold a good few. Saw this clause and threw it right out, as I do whenever I see it. Promoters sometimes throw it in so that your sales are not competing with theirs, but will usually take it right out if you let them sell your merchandise for you and offer them a commission, a win/win since it is hard for you to sell merchandise and perform. Morgan agreed to 20% within the bat of an eyelash, no problems here. Could have sold shirts too or anything else that we wanted but shirts are a bitch to transport.

• Quote from The Riddler;54874

I'd say that it was pretty much obvious at what is going on in the real world now
    wouldn't you?

More revelations 'Coming Soon'

Nick, I'd say that it's obvious that for some reason you don't want the real world to know who you are? Why is that, and why did you change your name on here? What do you have to hide? Why is it when you yourself quit the show you are now trying say that you were treated unfairly?

Again, I won't bring up any details other than what YOU put out there, but you know that most of your problems were your own doing. And since in the end it was YOU who pulled out due to health reasons I don't understand why you're bitching now. It was a great night, that probably would have been even better if you were DJing for Captain Rock like you were supposed to. But the show must go on.

• Quote from Cozmo D;54889

Nick, I'd say that it's obvious that for some reason you don't want the real world to know who you are? Why is that, and why did you change your name on here? What do you have to hide? Why is it when you yourself quit the show you are now trying say that you were treated unfairly?

Again, I won't bring up any details other than what YOU put out there, but you know that most of your problems were your own doing. And since in the end it was YOU who pulled out due to health reasons I don't understand why you're bitching now. It was a great night, that probably would have been even better if you were DJing for Captain Rock like you were supposed to. But the show must go on.

Did Khan type that out for you by any chance where is the dark lord btw?

• Quote from Cozmo D;54889

Nick, I'd say that it's obvious that for some reason you don't want the real world to know who you are? Why is that, and why did you change your name on here?

it's more fun this way and it's obvious who i am just click on me and you'll see my post history just like to mix things up a bit no real reason :ugly:

i'm feeling a lot better thanks for asking ;D

• Quote from Cozmo D;54885

First of all, I would never have said any of this in an open forum on the internet but since you have put your business out there I will respond.

Richie, you had a featured artist on YOUR track, so it is YOUR responsibility to make sure he is sorted. That is just the way it is man. If a contractor has someone working with him it is the contractor's responsibility to pay the worker, not the purchaser. That is in ANY business!!!

The ONLY reason you were on the bill was because Morgan wanted to hire us an extra keyboard player and I recommended you. He thought it was a brilliant idea because then you could also perform. I thus felt a sense of responsibility towards you. When you complained to me that Morgan was giving you fukked up travel accommodations I immediately went after him with both guns blazing to get that sorted. THAT WAS IN JUNE! You never mentioned a thing about Xidus. When I tracked down Morgan he told me that your travel had been agreed to just as you requested, and I immediately got on Facebook and PMed you a request that we do a 3 way on SKYPE to make sure things were sorted. THAT WAS ON JUNE 9TH! YOU NEVER GOT BACK TO ME!!! I was on the other line a day later when Morgan reached you by phone and you confirmed that your travel deals were sorted and you were fine with them. I then figured that perhaps you were just giving me drama when you said that they weren't. Regardless, I know that you must have seen me online at Facebook COUNTLESS times yet you NEVER responded to my June 9th PM.

If you had contacted me I would have told you that you needed to sort out Xidus, that IS your role! It also showed me that Morgan wasn't as hard for you to contact as you claim, because everything was fine in your conversation on June 10th or 11th. What further really bothers me is that once Xidus was talking directly to Morgan per your request you told Morgan to tell him that you weren't getting paid. That's fukked up man. Xidus is the one who announced that you weren't performing on Facebook first.

Look, Richie, I consider you a friend and you know how much I admire your skills and your music, but the bottom line is that you did not deal with this well and though you had me offering to work personally on your behalf with Morgan you never responded to me at all, which is a shame.

Decadence of a hip-hop pioneer... :(

• Quote from Cozmo D;54890

Here's the real deal people... THE SHOW WAS A BLINDING SUCCESS!!!!! Your hatred for Morgan Khan can't change that.

Now let's here from some of the many who were actually there... (these are direct quotes from Facebook, if you want to see what the event was really like, click here to join the 'Official Street Sounds Facebook Group':

A big thank you for a truly memorable night. The B Boys, Capt Rock and Newcleus tore it up and the peerless Arthur Baker made the scala feel like the roxy. Incredible!!!! – J.V.S

Thank you ,you made my life worth liveing again love u morgan and all the street sounds family – C.M

COZMO D........................ Thnaks sooooo much for sat night, you were amazing!!!! AND i got my photo with you too!!!!!! a massive thanks – G.T

There was a huge sense of "ONE- NESS" last night. cant get over it.. everyone appreciated a phat break or beat and what the b boys said at the end about modern rappers...so so so true.. they wont have a crowd like that 25 years on.. - C.H

two words to describe the night and they are FUCKING AWESOME – W.E

Thanks for a great night , looking forward to the next event which we hope is soon. The place was rocking. – J.T

What a great night. Highlight for me was the massive love shown to Captain Rock! He absolutely rocked it - never seen so many smiling faces! It was a proper moment! - S.B

I have to say that was the best night I've had in a very long time. Puts your faith back into going out. Great live acts, amazing djs, graff, the lot. But non of that would not have worked had the crowd not have that vibe which is the key to a truly memorable night. Highlights, Captain Rock, Arthur Baker and Greg Edwards upstairs (needed longer IMHO). But even the simple things like meeting people in the courtyard... All in all, a great night and huge thanks to all involved.(I wish I had a pound for everytime someone asked if my nike jacket was an original!!) – M.C

Awesome night Morgan. Thank you for getting those great acts together after all this time. Getting to see Capt Rock , Newcleus, B-Boys so up close was amazing and a few handshakes from the lads afterwards just topped it all. Cant wash the hand now ! lol – M.F

Think they have to rename Facebook StreetsoundsBook cause all I'm seeing mostly is photos & videos from the Scala in the main newsfeeds plus lots of people adding each other lol – A.C

Its never to late to be a streetsounds fan ,streetsounds is coming back bigger and better than ever ,we have some many nu and old artist its just going to grow and grow – R.F

Need to do this again BADLY..... a Streetsounds festival....weekender :D Thanks guys n girls for a fantastic evening!!! – R.L

thanks to Morgan and all involved for an awesome awesome weekend.. I got to meet some amazing new friends, meet some of my heros and listen to some of the best tunes ever, my paintings were on show and that was a great honour too.. So big thanks to everyone who made it happen and FUCK the haters :) – C.R

Thank you Morgan for an unbelievable night on Saturday.Captain Rock (What a performance),Arthur Baker (Top draw) and Newcleus (Awesome) were all fantastic.Sadly we missed the B-Boys as we didn't arrive till 9.45.Again thank you and i hope its not another 25 years till the next one.Big shout to everyone behind the scenes and a pleasure to meet you Morgan – G.A

we had a whole lot of superstarz on this stage here tonight. but i want you all to know one thing! this is captain rock mutha funkin house! and when i say who's house. i want you all to say captain rock house. i can not hear ya'll! WHO'S HOUSE – M.P

Can't believe I was spinning on the floor with a crowd. I felt 11 years old again. LOL pricless. – S.L

It was a complete sell out, doors opened at 7pm and shut at 9pm so must have been max croud in there a 1000… one big happy family here ,once you get time to read some post your see the love for streetsounds – R.F

Just read that the event sold out, the place seemed busier than 86, but then it was a smaller venue. Gonna take some beating this one, such a great vibe, just like 86! Last night certainly lived up to the hype, such a great vibe amongst the fans, great to see the artists taking time out with the fans, how many artists do that these days. Huge respect Morgan! – E.H

Amazing night!!! The acts were out of this world!!!! Got my pic with Newcleus and Morgan too, meet fantastic new friends! When s the next one??????? – G.T

boy this unreal massive props to everyone involved i this night... great to hear it went off safely and the vibe was right :) wachin some of the vids now... - K.F

had a great night big respect to all who put this together and hope there will be another real soon!! – C.H

[Captain Rock] made the night for me and what a nice dude, definitely some hate comments knocking about but I had a great time and will treasure the memory of seeing all these legends. - W.D

The guy bought so much good energy with him on the night, Me and my pals bumped into him up in the bar and he had loads of time for us and was happy to jump in for a group picture ( on here posted) He was even jamming with us in the walk ways. Top gezzer! – R.M

who ever thinks that it was a rip of wants fucking shooting listen we waited 25 years for this it was the best the best night ever ,i so cant wait for the next one thank you morgan and street sounds – C.M

Thanks Morgan =) The man that gave me Wikki Wikki, Jam on it, Captain Rock, The B Boys, Hashim, I'm the Packman, Reckless etc etc etc etc...Eternally grateful =) – S.M.J

who wants another night like this , i do it was amazing ,it will happen sooner than later everyone feels the love the passion for this amazing scene. – A.S

what a fantastic night !!! thanks to all involved... morgan khan... OMG !!! he is my god !!!!! and what a lovely bunch of people much love and respect !!!!! WICKED !!!!! xxxxxxxx – K.B

Sounds like some of yall are having a hip-hop hangover! Good job guys :) ... Cherish the memories. Hip-hop 4 life (never forget the feeling u felt when u first fell in love with hip-hop),
    M.C. Chill -- Oh yeah, a shout out to the Knights! LOL! – K.C.H

Yeah....back witha a bang :) – A.K

Sold out too, great news! – E.H

YO!!!! too many people to say names you all know who you are!!! What an amazing experience we all had I will never forget it!!! love the N.I. posse forever your ma boyz RESPECT!!! – G.A

had one of the best nights ever and most importantly really, really good fun.. Thought Thelegendary Bboys were amazing... and it was a dream come true to see Arthur Baker DJing.. met some top blokes as well!! – A.V

yeah man DOPE!! is the word of the day… Great nite Morgan Khan thanks again for havin us tearing the roof off.. next time me thinking blackpool should host the next jam then i can get some sleep lol....throw ya hands in the air for STREET SOUNDZ oh yeah – M.P

What a totally excellent Atmosphere in the room, 1 love Respect to you all - G.G

Just got back after an amazing night - Thanks to Morgan and all involved! – J.W

Respect to you Morgan....You did it again!!!! – J.A

wonderful night morgan- every person i met was top dollar. such a good positive vibe.. honoured to have been there. – D.F

Thanks morgan waiting 27 years to see captain rock and it was worth it. – T.M

Just got home,What a night! Many thanks to all the acts for puting on such a great show. FRESHHHHHHH :)) – R.A

yep its the morning after the night before and what can i say still on a high from it all.morgan your a true legend and what an honour to have met you & have a pic with you,the acts where incredible and were so friendly and best of all there was no attitude and the people i met made this a night that i will never forget PEACE OUT- W.E

Amazing night every single minute of it! Great line up great new friends and what an atmosphere!!!!! Will be posting some mpeg clips on later! even got morgan's t-shiirt he was wearing on the night ,now that's special!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – L.G

One of the Best nights for a long time.. Thanks Morgan!!! – R.S.C

Thanks Morgan. A fantastic night! Sorry to babble at you drunkenly at the end of the night, but I just had to shake your hand! – S.B

Top night! Met lots of old friends and some new! Big up to all involved. Don't wait 25 years until the next one 'cos I'll be 75!! :) - D.J

Best nite morgan donny boys loved it 350 mile round trip.best nite ever thanks. – S.W.W

AMAZING night morgan - big love and rest well - last night exceeded all my expectations and left me with none stop goosebumps - really loved every minute and cannot stop smiling.. big love to all of you - we all shared something so spiecal - lost for words ....big up the uk fresh 2011 possee !!!! loved meeting you all xxxx – J.M

An awesome night didn't want the event to end, great chatting and hearing stories of hip hop past...love, unity, peace, & having fun was in full effect! hopefully meet more of y'all at the next one! – D.B

Thanks Morgan, it was an honour to be there. – C.A

Yeah, feeling very emotional still. I can't wait to tell my kids about this in a bedtime story mode. Well done Morgan "You" brought people together last night & I breakdanced for the first time in 20 years. WOW… Great night ,My heart still pounding for all us cool people who shared this amazing moment in time together… Amazing night & new friends Thank you so much Morgan. I have more brothers around me. This is priceless X – S.L

Shellshocked after last night..".Great storys where told and a few tears where rolled ". Artists mixed with the crowd...Thanks to everyone who I was talking too...and to the doubters go hide in a dark cave... – P.W

Good to see the GFR Crew in attendance, had a right laugh – M.G

‎...Well, waiting in the queue to go in to the venue, Captain Rock came out and walked down the line of people waiting and shook EVERYONE'S hand and thanked them all for coming, now that's something you don't get from the new school artists, or any artist for that matter...The Captain is a legend!!.. – L.D

What an amazing night it was, glad to meet & talk with lots there, we was like one big happy family, a great vibe going on.
    Big up to the man Morgan Khan too :)
    Bring on the Streetsounds 30th Anniversary next year hopefully :) – A.C

What a night, shame it had to end. I stayed till the very end and if Scala hadn't closed I would still be there. Morgan you out did your self. – T.T

Me thinking there should be another gig like this soon one day! Maybe they can dig out the egyptian lover and poss grandmaster flash also. Now that would be awesome!! The old school def kick arse last night! Think we will need the o2 arena for the next gig morgan if we got all of the above! The question is! Can this be achieved?? Now thats a challenge.. – R.M

Nuff respect Morgan for putting on such a dope show - a fantastic night all round - respect to all the performers & people that reached – M.D

Lovely to meet so many awesome people last night, had a great night!! Thank you everybody!! – D.F

What a great night! More to say later but just to say you are a top bunch! – M.C

Sounds like you all had an amazing time at the reunion - I'm definitely going to the next big meet – R.W

OMG JUST GOT IN ONE AWESOME NIGHT -
    morgan.. thank you for organising - you so deserve huge props for this one man. waiting for a 2 day event next year with more acts :) – C.H

chatting to cap rock and athur baker just made my night.. meeting them all walking around.. such freindly guys.. the crowd just went nuts at Cap Rocks choons..
    Bboys just tore up their classics... Newcleus.. shame about the sounds..the sound crew let you down.. the beats didnt bang enough but the tracks were boom!
    DEFINITELY ONE OF THE FINEST CROWDS that ive come across since the raving days of 88-90
    BIG SHOUT TO THE "FRESH 2011" MASSIVE!!!!!
    it was a pleasure rocking da house wit y'all

just got in what a night every one rocked – T.M

all i can say is wow and thanks again. Me and my girls had a fab time and a wonderful introduction to a new venue x – M.G

big respect for Saturday night man. The most memorable night out for 25 years. Thank you. – M.D

cannot express how grateful i am for last night, thankyou so so much, amazing night, even got to shake your hand!! Thanks for all your efforts in staging another unforgettable night – M.R

Thanks for a great night at the scala on saturday, it was a fantastic event which will go down in history :). – A.J

Great night on saturday - brings back memories of back in the day – R.D

thanks for a good night man your a legend!! – C.H

what a top night mate, lets hope theres more like it,thanks – S.R

Top night Morgan, thank you very much peace. – C.L

thanks for a fantastic nite morgan....it was b-boy heaven:-) – N.L

It was a total dream come true for me. I'm still buzzing. Best night of my life Morgan. Thanks for putting on a great show!!! Was a pleasure meeting you ! – R.E

Thank you, simply brilliant. – K.R

Cheers for a top night Morgan! more of the same please... – J.T.G

Thanks for a wicked nite, good to meet you at long last. :) – J.C.D

Thanks Morgan it was a pleasure meeting you... a great nite & atmosphere,it brought out the b-boy/b-girl in all of us. – D.B

Well what can i say....fresh 86 was off the hook....let's hope its going to be a Yearly event like the b-boys championships are – R.B

Awesome night Morgan, thank you for the memories. – K.B

thanks morgan for a great avent ,good choice of venue,cannot wait for the next one. – H.G

Nice one Morgan - you are a legend. Good night, good vibes, good times. Peace. – J.S

Amazing night Morgan, thanks for putting on another history making night – M.R

Ace night!!I heard sum talk of it being a yearly event??will b there every time..peace..... – L.B

THANK YOU MORGAN FOR A DOPE NIGHT AT U.K. FRESH REUNION – M.B

That was an amazing night!! Thanks everyone and a massive thanks to you Morgan for putting this together again. – J.D.S.M

just want to say a massive thank you for a great night.we need more old school nights like that.thanks again..johnny bluff. – J.B

Just got back to Coventry and what a night! Big thanks to Morgan and nice to see so many fresh trainers ;) - L.T

Morgan you are a legend what a night thank you from the bottom of my heart. true hip hop never dies. street sounds forever – R.A

What an incredible night! Morgan definateley deserves the title 'The godfather of electro'. Never have I been to a night where there has been so much admiration for the promotors and artists. Knowing that all involved were there for the love of the electro scene! The highlight of the evening must have been shaking Morgans hand! Many thanks for a most memorable night. – P.J

Congrats on having a great show!!! People want more... Next Year should be just as Good!!! – G.B

Big thanks to Morgan, the B Boys, Newcleus, Darxid the legend Arthur Baker and Captain Rock who rocks! Fantastic took me back when r the tickets on sale for the next one? – C.G

Thanks to street sounds for a great show down in London last night. See you next year!! – D.B

massive night all acts where so fresh thankyou morgan – D.W

Whoop Whoop....respect for a good night. C.C

FUCKING AMAZING NITE respect to everyone involved in making this happen and PEACE to everyone we meet all the crew had a blast – D.M

Yes everyone on a natural high @50000 feet, great to meet you all, a night which truly checked every box, rocked my mind body and soul heart filled thanks to Morgan Khanand every single person who worked, helped to make this such an Amazing night PEACE LOVE AND RESPECT...... - R.B.J

Thank you to all those who were there with us to share this incredibly memorable event for which we will never forget.

• Excuse me, I have to run out and buy a couple more boxes of tissues to wipe the tears from my eyes. Uncontrollable laughter does that to me.

It appears that fans typically glorify SS at face value mostly oblivious to business ethics, morals & professionalism while artists & business affiliates on the other hand be tellin' it like it is toward MK. Once y'all realize this, then it's just another day in the music biz. Petty stuff...getting quite old actually.

Relax

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!