Posts by billy1971

Quote from Eclectro;38456

To me 'Detroit Techno' is 88/89 & that's where it should stay. Can't people call some music a genre & leave it in the past where it belongs! What next Sugarbabes release a pop song & call it R&B-oh they already have!
    Why can't people just like or not like music,instead of worrying whether it's in a genre that's 'cool' !

No iam a sucker for pigeonholing and era's but to me Detroit Techno was as you said 1988 onwards through the 90's.

[ame]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/ame]

Anyone know the history of Electro,House and Techno from 1980's Detroit.
    I quote from Derrick May in Sean Bidder's book called 'Pump Up The Volume' in the Techno section,

'There was no name for this music,' says May.'Juan kept saying for months before that "it's techno,it's techno."
    But we didn't want to call it techno music because at that time there were some guys from Miami and from California doing a sped-up sort of hip-hop version of electronic music,and they were calling it techno,and i hated that.I hated that whole sound,that whole concept,i thought man,we are not going to do this,no way.'

Quote from 155;38108

Some interesting points thus far, many of which should be seen in conjunction with others made. Largely I believe it to have been due to the quality (or lack thereof), availability (in product terms) and lack of avenues for exposure in the UK (which radio stations would have played Miami Bass?). Culturally I'm not convinced that the Miami Bass aesthetic transfers so readily to a UK context - and I also think that in the mid to late 1980s UK Hip Hop artists slowly began to emerge in to the wider context - with many drawing on a fusion of Hip Hop elements and their own (predominantly black / Afro-Carribbean) heritage (reggae/ragga/dancehall). In this respect Miami Bass wasn't going to compete against the high energy of Soca.

Furthermore there was the fact that the impact of 'house' music wasn't as deeply felt within the communities I saw, particularly when it morphed in to Acid. Miami Bass would have been seen (rightly or wrongly) as part of that tradition - and there was a very real antipathy between the 'house' sound and the audiences 'discovering' rare groove - often ironically having been pushed to do so through Hip Hop's re-discovery of breaks after Electro Funk. The short lived genre called 'Hip House' has to be seen within this context.

155 :)

It's mad but back in maybe 1987 but defo in 1988 i think House music,Miami Bass,the Detroit sound and the stuff from L.A. like Techno Kut label could have all been played together.
    I never heard The Unknown DJ's 'Basstronic' back in 1988 which was a shame as iam sure the Electro sound could have surived in some form back in the UK back in 1987/88 or did it ???

Quote from AITCH-SKI;37888

You're absolutely right mate ;)
    I used to love Detroit Techno. All hail the Roland SH101!!!! - quality times!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtCg0Nt22S8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7FHiG3OHGw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYW1mmLlqro&feature=related

That Juan tune is just Kraftwerk and it's fucking great.
    Always thought Alleys of Your Mind back in 1981 could of fitted in the New Romantic era.

Quote from doctorcrack;37652

i dont like the melodiy in the intro, but the rest is cool, the beats reminding me on mid 80s miami bass like double duce, amos larkins, coo-dee-mi-cee-......i just like the style fromt he miami area in the mid 80s, thats why i like this tune, even its not the best production..

It's the cartoon or country western sample which put's it to shame alongside his slow vodo voice.

Acid drill nah it's no bleed stuff lol and Hypnotist is not for me but i liked Tyree Acid Over with it's Vocoder and to me it's Acid/Electro old school House/Electro.

[ame]

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/ame]

I defo know where your coming fro mate.
    It's funny but i got back into Dance music between 1993-1997 with all the (in my eyes) Electro influence of Sabres of Paradise(Uk Techno) as well the Trip Hop Bristol thing Massive Attack(hate them now),Dub as in Dreadzone,Ambient Future Sound Of London and Electro Breakbeat Depth Charge.

It's funny but apart from my mates/group no one else was into Dance music even after the awful Walk this Way Run DMC/Aeroshit but by mid 88 people where going on about Hip Hop and by 1989 it was Rave/Bleep and Drugs.Yes 1987 and maybebefore sepy 88 where the better years of dance music.

Kept into Hip Hop till the start of 1989 but found House music to be the next step from Electro in 1987 and 1988 alongside the Acid stuff.In truth started to listen to House in 1986 as when i first heard Steve Silk Hurleys 'Love Can't turn around'was as fresh as hearing Planet Rock for the first time and loved the Electro synths in it even through i couldn't work out if the singer was a screaming bender lol,i was quite confused with this as well as being into Cameo and not knowing if they where Hip Hop/Gay/Perverts or just Blackadder fans WORD UP lol.
    We also liked getting the Upfront comps as they where a mix of Hip Hop/Soul and House but by 1989 everyone was into Gangster/Rap and MTV made it mainstream and House music became Rave and too many drugs so i got into Ragga/Reggae Hip Hop and Acid Jazz.

Never heard this one.
    [ame]

[/ame]